fridge too cold

I have had my FF on the same setting since I bought it, three and a half years ago

over the last week this has resulted in the fridge being cooled to below zero and items freezing

I have turned it down a notch and it is still doing it

The freezer section was fairly recently defrosted so I don't think that's the problem

before I call someone out

any ideas?

tim

Reply to
tim...

Are the vents at the back of the freezer blocked by the contents. I've accidentally done this and it seems on some fridge freezers this re routes the air into the fridge part and anything near the vent, like bottles of milk tend to freeze. Another thought is insulation problems in the door or other part of the fridge. I can notice that things in the door are nowhere near as cold as in some parts of the fridge are and depending on where the thermostat is physically, this can mean the fridge turns up its action and the temperature near the vents is very cold indeed. Normally this is accompanied by the motor running longer than it used to of course. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is it the sort that has a circulating fan? If not, the natural temperature gradient will generally mean that the bottom of the fridge is coldest.

I used, with my old appliance, to find that cucumber, for instance, would be ruined if stored in the "crisper tray" at the bottom of the fridge, even with the thermostat set correctly.

My current FF allows me optionally to have the circulating fan running continuously, and has worked faultlessly (tempting providence) for nearly ten years so far.

I can only suggest that you obtain a fridge thermometer, check temperatures on each shelf and adjust accordingly.

Has the room temperature been out of the ordinary?

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Sounds like a problem with the stat. Tell us make and model and someone will no doubt advise on specifics regarding replacement.

Always worth just doing a web search on make, model and "replacement thermostat".

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Indesit something (guess it's hidden round the back)

basic model, no special features, 50-50 freezer/fridge split

oh found the instructions

CA 55 XX CAA 55 XX NCAA 55 XX

Reply to
tim...

I've have had a fridge thermostast go awry a couple of times, symptoms being too cold and/or inability to regulate properly.

It is (generally) a possible DIY job if you are confident with appliance repair. There only seem to be very few generic types that every manufacturer uses, see

and they are not expensive though it might be a bit fiddly if it is not an exact replacement, problems I encountered included the threaded portion of the mounting not being quite long enough, and the copper tube being a bit too long (using the £4 cpc generic type).

Nothing guaranteed of course and YMMV....

ChrisK

Reply to
ChrisK

He could have a PCB stat........... uggg. The ones that you link to are quite easy to fit, to the same model of Fridge/Freezer or very similar. The OP has the spec of his appliance.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire