RIP Trevor Baylis

picking up each wired phone in series, putting down the one before it.

Cheers. I had no idea they were so cheap now.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

The storage schemes mentioned in this group in the past few months seem to be only viable when they are considered in conjunction with the higher premium paid for "instant" electricity for very short term peak demands. Perhaps not so viable for supplying power throughout a whole night or even to support the grid when the wind doesn't blow and the sun doesn't shine.

Reply to
alan_m

They were and they are pretty bad for the environment chemical wise and not made much anymore, because Lithuim and LiPos are better being smaller and lighter. Otherwise laptiop batteries would be using NiCds wouldn't they ? Or perhaps Lead acid is better .

Yes more than winding a spring.

try it sometime, there;s hand cranks to charge mobile phones you can buy we've brought a few here as a deno for students.

Didn't think that was an issue.

Reply to
whisky-dave

In 1993 there were no rechargeable batteries as we know them today.

The life scientific on R4 earlier was a program about the lady who developed rechargeable Lithium ion batteries using technology that she was using to develop alternatives to CFCs, at that time. (If I heard it correctly).

Reply to
Andrew

Oops! Page not found (404) too many rrrs?

Reply to
Martin

Not a fan of "The Wire" I take it?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I was charging NiCds around 1978 if not earlier. Constant current was the way to charge them.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well I never suggested it would be.

A bit like pump storage then? Lack of capacity doesn?t render it pointless if used, as intended, for smoothing demand by responding very rapidly.

No idea. I thought it was quite an interesting idea/project. Sorry to have disappointed you.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

that's weird, cos there certainly were 10 years earlier. Where did they go?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Eh? Ni-Cads were around long before then. They may have improved somewhat since then, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In the 1980s, I had to replace some NiCads in piece of measuring equipment,> It turned out that they were over 20 years old. And NiFe Rechargeable) cells were around before that. I remember going round the factory from school in the 1950s

Reply to
charles

Around 1975 I had a Heathkit calculator that used several NiCads - when the calculator developed a fault we used the NiCads to power the glowplugs in control-line planes, which worked very well.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Just that, given we already have Dinorwig with about 10 Million tonnes of "weights" available, something that only has weights equivalent to a couple of Dinorwig's generators seems a bit tiddly ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

So you didn?t read the bit about response time then...

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

too little output to be much use to the grid. But governments for decades don't seem to have much idea of how to assist the country, with one brief exception.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So you didn?t read the bit about response time then?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If 20MW is enough to save the grid, we're rather too close to the edge, it's not much more than a eurostar whizzing along HS1

Reply to
Andy Burns

Are not most instances of needing instant power predicable so a delay of many seconds can be input to the expected demand?

Reply to
alan_m

I got one from Tesco last week. 4.99 plus 10 for the PAYG topup. Branded IMO, it works in as much as I can make and receive calls. After 2 days of cursing I managed to install an non-annoying ringtone. Trying to update the address book is, I have now concluded, more trouble than my blood pressure will stand. In short, its shit.

Reply to
DJC

whoosh

Reply to