Boiler noise

Looking at fitting a boiler in a bedroom: how many dB do you reckon I should look for? I really don't know.
NT

Fit it elsewhere. They make all sorts of clicks and whines when starting up. It probably needs to go in a fire proof cupboard these days.
dennis@home wrote:

Concur, don't think I'd want one making noises in a bedroom

Hopefully the boiler *is* a fire-proof cupboard.
On Sunday, 31 May 2015 16:50:37 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

I feel much the same regarding noise / boilers/ bedrooms, but that's where its going. So I suppose the question becomes wha'ts available dB-wise?
NT

Then I'd build a cupboard for it to go in.
I think most combis nowadays are silent when not in use, but mine at least (an Ideal Logic) makes quite a row when it starts up. Partner's Viessmann is better, and far more 'refined'. Point being that I wouldn't go on dB figures alone.
--
Cheers, Rob

RJH wrote:

Don't you have to provide the enclosure with a certain amount of ventilation? Not sure how much it would reduce the noise.
Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK
snipped-for-privacy@cdixon.me.uk
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 5:35:00 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

one answer might be to to turn it off at night. Otherwise I think you will need to build a small soundproof room for it and that won't be easy (it need ventilating for example, and for sound proofing reasons those vents should not open into the bedroom).
At night everything sounds much louder. Boilers don't just 'hum' they make clicks and whirring noises.
Robert
Yes and my neighbours one has a pump that sometimes sounds louder here next door than it does in her house. Very strange.
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"dennis@home" < snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
On Sun, 31 May 2015 07:34:25 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

Pointless, as everyone seems to be different in their levels of toleration. Some people have to have complete silence to get to sleep. Others (like me, fortunately) can sleep through an earthquake. I personally find the sound of a boiler very soothing, so the louder the better.
On 31/05/2015 21:43, Cursitor Doom wrote:

I was chatting to someone outside his house, which was right next to a railway bridge. He didn't even seem to register that the train was going by, whilst I felt like covering my ears. I suspect that most people could get used to sleeping in the same room as a boiler. *If they absolutely had to.*
On Monday, June 1, 2015 at 10:45:41 AM UTC+1, GB wrote:

Ah, but people sleep through church clocks, trains etc because they are re gular sounds with the same timing every night. The brain learns the timet able and goes down in to deep (delta wave) sleep just before the noise is d ue. With the irregular starting .stopping of a boiler it might be harder.
I worked on a seismic survey vessel once. Every 10 seconds there was a ver y loud 'thump' from the airgun array. I could easily sleep through this bu t I always woke up with a jump when the airguns fell silent at the end of t he survey line.
Robert

That isn't true of a major highway with truck on it making the noise.

No evidence of that either.

I doubt it given that some do manage fine next to major highways.

I bet those who sleep next to a major highway don't wake up with a start when there has been a significant accident well away from their house that stops the traffic flow for a while.
On Sunday, May 31, 2015 at 3:34:30 PM UTC+1, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

I would worry about the potential CO risk. Shouldn't be a problem if the boiler is properly maintained, BUT . . .
Jonathan

Not this one
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-32961127
--