Boiler noise

Looking at fitting a boiler in a bedroom: how many dB do you reckon I should look for? I really don't know.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Fit it elsewhere. They make all sorts of clicks and whines when starting up. It probably needs to go in a fire proof cupboard these days.

Reply to
dennis

Concur, don't think I'd want one making noises in a bedroom

Hopefully the boiler *is* a fire-proof cupboard.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I feel much the same regarding noise / boilers/ bedrooms, but that's where its going. So I suppose the question becomes wha'ts available dB-wise?

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Then I'd build a cupboard for it to go in.

I think most combis nowadays are silent when not in use, but mine at least (an Ideal Logic) makes quite a row when it starts up. Partner's Viessmann is better, and far more 'refined'. Point being that I wouldn't go on dB figures alone.

Reply to
RJH

Pointless, as everyone seems to be different in their levels of toleration. Some people have to have complete silence to get to sleep. Others (like me, fortunately) can sleep through an earthquake. I personally find the sound of a boiler very soothing, so the louder the better.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Yes and my neighbours one has a pump that sometimes sounds louder here next door than it does in her house. Very strange.

Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Don't you have to provide the enclosure with a certain amount of ventilation? Not sure how much it would reduce the noise.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I was chatting to someone outside his house, which was right next to a railway bridge. He didn't even seem to register that the train was going by, whilst I felt like covering my ears. I suspect that most people could get used to sleeping in the same room as a boiler. *If they absolutely had to.*

Reply to
GB

I would worry about the potential CO risk. Shouldn't be a problem if the boiler is properly maintained, BUT . . .

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

one answer might be to to turn it off at night. Otherwise I think you will need to build a small soundproof room for it and that won't be easy (it need ventilating for example, and for sound proofing reasons those vents should not open into the bedroom).

At night everything sounds much louder. Boilers don't just 'hum' they make clicks and whirring noises.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Ah, but people sleep through church clocks, trains etc because they are re gular sounds with the same timing every night. The brain learns the timet able and goes down in to deep (delta wave) sleep just before the noise is d ue. With the irregular starting .stopping of a boiler it might be harder.

I worked on a seismic survey vessel once. Every 10 seconds there was a ver y loud 'thump' from the airgun array. I could easily sleep through this bu t I always woke up with a jump when the airguns fell silent at the end of t he survey line.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Not this one