Boiler Noise

Hello all,

I have a Gloworm 80E boiler in my house. When the heating kicks in a noise resonates throughout the house (sounds like it is from the boiler) the noise sounds like a hoover starting up and shutting down. Also slight bubbling noise. Only happens every now and again but very annoying. Could it be the pump? The rads dont appear to have any airlock and they are red hot.

I'm a very basic novice on these things and I wont be attempting anything out of my depth. I just want a rough idea before I call someone out.

Thanks for you help people. Nick

Reply to
NickWW

could be air in the system or maybe the pump is begining to fail.

Old Bill

years old, so it's lucky to be working at all.

I have found that there is one particular radiator that seems to need bleeding weekly. Providing I do that then the boiler mostly seems to stay quiet.

The boiler also has what's called kettling when it first comes on. Which basically means it makes a noisey knocking noise but then quietens down. I found Fernox Boiler Silencer...

to be quite effective at sorting that out. It's available from any plumbers mecrhant or large DIY place. Is easy to apply and costs around £25.

Reply to
RedOnRed

Thankyou both for your valuable help. What i have done is knock the pump speed from '3' to '2' It is now much quieter (but still there, setting 1 was simply too low for the flame to maintain heating). Also with regards to 'Kettling' I would'nt go as far to say it bangs at all or rattles, more like a boiling with air bubble noise when the heating kicks in.

If the pump is faulty would it still provide red hot heating to all rads, upstairs and downstairs?

BTW its a Gloworm 100E not 80E (ive got the pressure at 1.5 bar as recommended in the manual).

Thankyou chaps

Reply to
NickWW