Removing vinyl floor tile adhesive

Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing the horrible vinyl floor tiles in my kitchen with quarry tiles. I don't think it would be too hard to get the current tiles up but I'm concerned about the adhesive residue which would remain. The underlying floor is concrete and the tiles have been down since the house was built in 1990. The adhesive is a thin browny type substance, so not bitumen.

So,

  1. Presumably it's wise to get this adhesive up before putting the new tiles and suitable adhesive down ?

  1. If so then how should I go about the task - solvents, scraping. hot air, steam ?

Cheers,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

I used on of those heavy duty scrapers with 4" blade. Got through a packet of blades though

Reply to
Old Bill

I've never done this (I'm just about to). But I've been told (by a professional tiler) that using a tile adhesive that's OK for wooden floors as well will be OK without scraping the old adhesive off, so long as it's smooth and flat enough.

Normal tile adhesives are expecting a somewhat permeable substrate, timber or this old adhesive are impermeable. I'm planning on using Wickes "timber or concrete" adhesive (ready mixed, red on white tub)

I'd be interested in hearing any comments on this approach.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

When I pulled up some lino-tiles many years ago I was pleasantly surprised to find the adhesive was water soluble. I ripped up the tiles and gave the remaining goo a good sponging over with hot water and the resulting goo was easily scraped off leaving clean boards.

Mind you, I would preferred to have discovered this before spending hours scraping half of it off dry!!

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

I've taken up a sample of the adhesive and currently soaking it in water to see if owt happens! Water soluble would be nice but not sure if it would have been used in a kitchen environment originally!

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

Mine were in the kitchen, but was circa 1970.