Ring wiring question

Isn't there something in the regs about having a convenient (in terms of distance and not switching anything else vital off) isolation switch for servicing purposes, or is that just good practice? Or am I thinking of WRAS?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

I think that relates to hard wired appliances which might need to be be serviced in situ, like ovens, boilers and extractor fans. There's hardly any servicing you could do to the transformers other than replacing them so from that point of view they're no different from a plug socket. If you felt the need to be able to isolate them then use a switched FCU instead of a plain one.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

They don't always put the sockets/fuses in a convenient place, like my cooker hood (13A plug and socket inside the chimney) which blew a fuse when a lamp failed and the built-in oven (13A plug and socket behind the oven) in which the switch (which is never used) failed. I suppose it's neater to hide everything away.

Reply to
Max Demian

The non isolating type usually have an internal fuse. The isolation transformer type don't usually.

There is not usually a manufacturers requirement for additional fusing on the isolating type.

Reply to
John Rumm

Most will do 2 x 2.5 or 1 x 4.0. Some will do more. The BG one i rated for 3 x 2.5 and 2 x 4.0 IIRC.

Reply to
John Rumm

What happens to the transformer in case of overload/short?

Reply to
Max Demian

Many transformers have an integral thermal fuse. I would be surprised if a shaver transformer doesn't.

Reply to
Fredxx

Many transformers have a fuseable link internal to the windings. I'd expect a shaver socket would.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Would an internal fuse successfully break a 50A fault current?

Reply to
Roger Hayter

If its on the secondary, then it will either sit there an buzz at you (getting hot but not much bad should happen since they are normally only

30W or similar). Or it will include a thermal fuse that will open (possibly auto resetting if you are lucky).

If its on the primary, there is no likely overload scenario, so you only need worry about a hard short. They are presumably designed to be robust enough to rely on the fault protection of the circuit in those cases.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup. The non transformer type tend to have a replaceable cartridge fuse though. The types in the transformers are often an integral part and not a user serviceable thing.

Reply to
John Rumm

They're also called thermal fuses - so I'd guess would rupture before the windings went up in smoke.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)