Gluing Polypropylene to PVC

I would like to glue a flat piece of PVC to a flat area on a bit of polypropylene. Is this practical for something that will be used outside and get wet? I presume that the solvent weld type glues for plastic drain pipes won't work?

Reply to
mUNDERSCOREnews

Scotchweld 8005 is for low surface energy plastics, not cheap though.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Here is another option

Another possibility, if there is a reasonable contact area, might be double sided tape or double sided foam pads.

It all depends really on how strong the joint needs to be, whether there is flexing, temperature variations, etc.

Does it *really* have to be adhesive? It it's for a permanent fix, can't it be pop riveted or bolted with suitable washers?

Reply to
newshound

replying to mUNDERSCOREnews, Iggy wrote: I haven't tried much, but PVC cement, Krazy Glue and Plastic Welding don't work. I even tried sanding each piece to get some tooth, not a thing different and immediate failure. Try either Andy Burns' stuff or Plastic Model glue/cement, that's the only stuff I've ever seen actually weld any plastic together and there are waterproof versions.

Reply to
Iggy

Well, my experience with two dissimilar plastics tells me that whatever you use the softest one tends to bubble, ie it softens in strong sunlight. . Is this a big area and how thick is the pvc so to speak. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Gorilla?

Reply to
harry

Flame flashing will often allow difficult to glue low surface energy substrate plastics to be fixed together by adhesives.

Peter Parry

The two bits of plastic are about 1mm thick. The area to be glued is less than a square inch.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Can't you replace both with a single piece 2mm thick and an inch square?

Reply to
Andy Burns

One of the bits of plastic is a polypropylene roof verge which I am trying to modify because one of the rows of tiles is to far above the row below by about 1cm. I would like to stick another two small bits of plastic to it. These bits will be cut from an old non polypropylene verge. It may be that I can resort to screws.

Reply to
Michael Chare

At just 1mm thick I'd be keen to spread the fixing over as wide an area as possible.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

So only a small amount needed, worth a punt with the expensive stuff, though I would still be inclined to add a few stainless self tappers.

Reply to
newshound