Removing several layers of vinyl emulsion - a discovery.

Our main bathroom has suffered at the hands of SWMBO. Originally emulsioned, then papered by the previous occupants, SWMBO decided to remove the paper and repaint. A less than expert job at removing the wallpaper left the skim somewhat the worse for wear. Dissatisfaction with the results gave rise to several re-paintings, some with arty-farty splodge techniques, latterly with 'textured' vinyl silk.

The end result was a thick layer of paint that would be impossible to get smooth for repainting. How to remove the paint so the job can be done properly?

I finally hit on .... SWMBO's hairdryer! The hot air softens the paint, allowing it to be peeled off in great sheets, just like skin off the back of an overweight and sunburnt tourist. Highly satisfying, and without further damaging the plaster or turning everything into a dripping sauna as a steam stripper would.

Hope this might prove useful to someone, but note that it is only likely to be successful if the accumulated layers of paint are thick enough.

Cheers, Steve S

Reply to
SteveS