removing emulsion paint?

What is the easiest way to remove old emulsion paint from a plastered wall?

When I removed the old wallpaper, some of the old emulsion paint underneath came away with the paper in many places, and the differing levels would show up if I simple painted over everything. So Ideally I'd like to remove all the old paint, if it's not too much of a PITA to do.

Failing that, can anyone suggest a way to sort of fill in the bits where the old emulsion came away? Polyfilla perhaps?

I don'tt want to re-paper the wall; I want to use emulsion for the final finish.

Many thanks

Al

Reply to
AL_n

Polyfilla fine surface is good and ready mixed.

Reply to
charles

Might be worth trying a steam cleaner if you didn't use one already? (Does rather depend on the type and age of the paint and plaster).

I have an older version of this, and it is excellent.

newshound

We had a similar situation at the last house. If it is a large area then dr y wall filler is the best, it's quite fine and can be smoothed down to a fe athered edge and if required sands very easily. Easyfill was what I used t he number after the name on the bag is the working time.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Okay - thanks to all for the replies.

Al

Reply to
AL_n

If it is really bad I would paper line it and not have to do the filling.

Mike

Reply to
mail-veil

Me too!