Removing old water tank from loft

Plasma cutter. Gwaan, you know you want to play with one. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I don't consider tools to be "Land, Buildings, etc"

Reply to
charles

How about trucks which the OED also covers?

"1885 Law Rep.: Queen's Bench Div. 15 316 The truck in question was rented by the defendant..from the Midland Waggon Company."

And didn't most most of us rent a TV, video or DVD more often than we hired one?

See also eg

Robin

it was called "Hire Purchase" not "rent purchase"

Reply to
charles

used to be able to Rentaghost

ARW

ARW

And that was from Radio Rentals?

I cannot care much which word is used - each of them seems to have places where it "sounds" appropriate to my ear; and others where it does not.

But I can't help having a feeling that "rent" is a long-term arrangement whereas "hire" is short-term. And yet when I try to think if there is any truth in that, I come up with so many counter-examples I realise how futile that is.

Reply to
polygonum

rental implies continuous usage: hire implies a one off transaction. So hire purchase became the name for a rental where the thing wasn't continuous - i.e. at the end of the 'rental' you owned it.

Neither implies a direction of transaction You can hire a tool to someone or from someone.

Although common usage omits the from.

So houses are rented long term. cabs cars vans and tools are hired short term

contract hire is virtually rental. There may be some slight legal differences..

I am not sure that rental doesn't give you extra rights - especially in terms of property .

uk.legal is that--> way

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I have never rented anything SHORT term, rental to me comes as an indefinite contract: hire is a single definite contract.

It gets confused when thick Americans are involved - hence car rental firms are actually car hire firms, but they don't understand 'hire' because they are thick septics.

And as with most of the language, once thickos get involved its all total screwing around with the language for no good reason.

Other than they cant use it properly. Because they don't know what proper is, and someone told them it didn't matter.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rather agree about the USA influence.

Oh - and you can't hire asunder.

Reply to
polygonum

At which we point all agree that there's no hope for today's youth and adjourn to the pub/open another bottle?

Well that's what I'm doing :)

Reply to
Robin

I'd say rental suggests a medium term contract, rather than hire which would be a one-off transaction. ie Hire = short term, Rent + medium term, lease = long term. But in practice the term will vary according to custom etc, not to mention pedantic legal terminology.

djc

They're great fun, but I wouldn't use one in a loft.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

But you pay ground rent on a lease... :-)

Reply to
polygonum

I did mine (1935, rivetted, galvanized steel) with a cheap B&D jigsaw, it proved surprisingly easy to cut, 30 minutes or less.

Do not take an angle grinder to it, you'll start a fire and your insurance probably won't cover it.

If it's asbestos cement, leave it alone.

Reply to
Onetap

I've got the same problem. Apparently a person who was here when the houses were built just before the war said they put them in before the roof was put on. Did nobody think in those days?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes more than one person has burned their house down using tools to cut them up of course. Its in the way though.

Makes a mess of the insulation as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Neither can you rent asunder

Though you might gave done so in the past

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not on lease hire

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

our house is a 1911 build. The water tank was installed in the same way. It's still there, despite the house in on the third tank. i've just had the cicular one replaced since it was starting to weep. Mind you both replacement ones are far smaller than the original. They must have assumed a not very reilable water supply.

Reply to
charles