Removing old water tank from loft

I don't have and angle grinder. As it is very awkward to get up there, I am not absolutely certain that it is metal, though it looks like it. The hatch is far too small to get it through, any suggestions for a reasonable approach, I do not wish to spend a lot of money on a cutting tool that I may never use again. Is it viable to hacksaw it, or will it be too thick?

Reply to
Broadback

Move it to one side and leave it there.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Just leave it up there, if there's room.

Reply to
Huge

Why bother to remove it at all?

If you must. I'd be inclined to attack it with a pretty basic cheap and nasty jigsaw half expecting to burn it out. There is a redundant metal water tank in a loft not far away. I am in no hurry to remove it!

Reply to
Martin Brown

When I tried to sell my last house, one of the buyers surveyors complained about the water tank, so I changed it.

When I cut the old one in half, I convinced myself that there was not much wrong with it.

Reply to
Michael Chare

If you must remove it, it is possible to rent tools.

Reply to
Davey

I was lucky - we had a squared tank that was on a platform immediately below the loft. Upon removal it was already in the room below - but horrible to get down the stairs and out. Far heavier than I had expected. Mostly very sound but getting close to rusting through in a few spots.

Had thought of hiring a nibbler of some sort - but no experience so still don't know if that would have bee the right tool.

Reply to
polygonum

That sounds like a very sensible idea. I'd go for a nibbler rather than an angle grinder - less noise, and fewer sparks to set fire to dust and rafters.

HSS will hire you one that will cut through 2.5mm mild steel for less=20 than =A350.

Reply to
Martin Bonner

or even hire them

Reply to
charles

Leave it where it is, or hire an angle grinder with a very thin wheel.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Then buy one anyway, even though I wouldn't use it for this job.

Angle grinders throw sparks and sparks are a bad thing in roof spaces. Check for at least 12 hours afterwards that you don't have a smouldering fire.

A hacksaw will bind on the frame and panel hacksaws are hard/expensive to find.

It's probably best to buy a cheap / hire a low-end reciprocating saw. Not a jigsaw, but a larger "sabre" saw. Use the right blade too, and you might need a couple of blades.

If you have a compressor, an air chisel with a panel ripping blade is actually the best tool for this. Quieter and quicker than sawing. Much quicker than nibbling.

You _will_ need ear defenders. Eye protection too, and dust mask if there's insulation around.

It's also useful to drape old blankets (or anything similar) over all four sides to stop the drumming effect.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

We had a mortise jointed slate tank. I left it in the loft until we had the roof done then slipped the panels out between the rafters.

Reply to
Pete Shew

yeah higher them for a loft job :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

for at least 12 hours afterwards that you don't have a smouldering fire.

jigsaw, but a larger "sabre" saw. Use the right blade too, and you might need a couple of blades.

the best tool for this. Quieter and quicker than sawing. Much quicker than nibbling.

insulation around.

sides to stop the drumming effect.

Thanks for all the tips. The only reason I need to move it is that the loft is being insulated (for free) and they specify that it must be cleared!

Reply to
Broadback

Very wise.

2.5mm might not be big enough. Think I'd go for a sabre saw with a metal= cutting blade.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Homebase do one for around 50 quid or prolly less now. Works very well the few times I've use it on various metals inc Steel sheet...

Reply to
tony sayer

A jacket and a lid would probably have been enough to fool most surveyors into thinking it was Byelaw 30 compliant. IME they do little more than stick their head through the hatch and have a quick look around to check things like that.

Reply to
pcb1962

I thought "rent" swung both ways. OED thinks it does. "3. trans. To pay rent for (land, buildings, etc.); to take possession of, hold, occupy, or use, by payment of rent. "

Reply to
Robin

I had mine done and the same request however they did allow me to leave a section floored and the insulation put over the floored area. I doubt if they would refuse to insulate if you keep the tank up there, you can always phone and ask them.

Reply to
ss

dont faff about: HIRE the tool you need. Id say a fiver should net you a grinder for a day...

Oh te magic when I hired a grinder and diamond wheel to cut three sandstone slabs to finish the curved bit. Took less than ten minutes an

40 mins later I took it back to the hire shop. 'didn't it work?' 'worked perfectly: Job done! all present and correct' 'Oh that's a fiver for the grinder and ten is the min charge on the diamond disc I am afraid' 'No worries'

Id wrecked 20 quids worth of stone trying to do it with a chisel..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher