Cutting corrugated polycarbonate sheet

Cutting corrugated polycarbonate sheet - This is is like the old corrugated iron sheet but in polycarbonate.

I have tried a mini-hacksaw, but the material vibrates badly and it does not work very well.

So far, the best result is with the angle grinder and a thin metal cutting disc. Sadly, the depth of cut is not quite enough on the small angle grinder to get to the bottom of the corrugations, and the big grinder is just too big and unwieldy.

Anybody have any other ideas, please?

Besides that, I thought you might like to hear about the use of the angle grinder. :)

Reply to
GB

Light sabre would be ideal... Where's Obi-Wan when we need him?

Reply to
mark.bluemel

A piece of angle iron to act as a straight edge - run the blade along the perpendicular face - along with a long blade - or very thick gloves - heated to red heat at the business end.

michael adams

michael adams

One of these works well for pvc cladding. You need that bar along the top of the blade to keep it straight

Reply to
stuart noble

Angle grinder. Turn the sheet over to finish the cut.

Reply to
harry

Laser cutting does work, but polycarbonate chars so you get a burnt edge.

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

Someone around here said a Multi Tool like the Bosch PDF 180 works well. Never tried it myself.

Reply to
David Lang

I found that a oscillating saw works. It doesn't really cut it but the blade gets hot and melts the sheet.

A hot wire cutter may work but the sheet may just weld back together.

I Also bought a UPVC saw from toolstation and that works quite well. You need to put another sheet under and on top as near the bit you are cutting as you can get it to stop the vibration.

Reply to
dennis

Clamp it between two planks?

Surprised that doesn't just melt the polycarbonate and clog the disc.

Two pass cut?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's over 10 years and a house away since I did our carport roof, but I'm sure we just used a hand saw, probably a Tenon saw like in the link.

WE might have sandwiched the polycarb sheet between two boards to reduce the vibrations and cut as near to the board as possible. I don't remember it being that bad, as long as we took it steady.

Reply to
Chris French

Well assuming a good amount of ventilation an old soldering iron and melt it? Actually, one of the problems I've had is splitting when sawing it. I think the swarf gets in the teeth, gets hot and makes the saw stick causing the sudden increase in friction. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Jigsaw....

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks for all the advice guys. In the end, I made up a jig to keep the sheets steady and provide a guide to cut along. Then I used a reciprocating tool. Much slower than the angle grinder, but much more controllable. Considering the sheets are 15 years old and rather brittle, the result is pretty good.

Reply to
GB