Cutting Wirework

By wirework I mean the metal shelves /drawers /etc typically used in pull-out larder and the like.

I have a need to reduce the height of a pull out unit so need to cut the chrome plated rods from which it is made. What is the best way of doing this?

Angle grinder seems a bit unwieldy for the job if it is going to leave a good edge. Would a Dremel be better?

Reply to
Andrew

I'm not convinced that any approach will look very good unless the cut ends face down and I don't think that is likely to be possible but you havent posted a link to a pic of the pull out unit and where you want to cut it. Or said how thick the rods are.

Reply to
Kemle

Bolt cutters? I'm not sure what kind of edge you'd get and if it would need tidying up.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

A hacksaw or a 1mm cutting disc on an angle grinder will both give good results. Anything like a bolt cropper will give a tapering cut, which you may not want. If you don't like the appearance of the cut end then search for "silicone caps" to find something snazzy to slip over it.

Reply to
nothanks

How about wine bottle corks?

Reply to
charles

A hacksaw will "skid" on the chrome (unless you make a starter groove with a triangular file) although it will eventually cut. If there is limited space you may not be able to get even a junior hacksaw or a standard angle grinder in there. In that case, dremel is the best answer. Forget using a grindstone. The thin but brittle plain disks will cut faster (expect to use several), the fibre reinforced ones are slower but more robust. Watch out for sparks.

Reply to
newshound

The wire is 6mm diameter and 5mm for the cross-pieces. It is these that I need to cut because they stick out too far.

I like the idea of end caps but don't think there will be enough clearance. I probably have to cut them right back to the perpendicular wire.

So, thanks for all the ideas. I will probably try a hacksaw with a file first then grind down smooth with the Dremel.

Reply to
Andrew