Cutting galvanised cable tray?

I'm thinking of using a piece of cable tray to tidy up some of the wiring that runs up the ceiling of the stairs from the cellar. I'll need a piece about 1.6 m long but they all come in 3 m lengths.

Is it practical to cut "light-duty" cable tray, this for example, with a hacksaw?

If so, do I need to worry about the cut end rusting? What treatment would be a good idea to protect it?

Thanks.

Reply to
Adam Funk

I have no experience with that, but have you thought about cable baskets?

should be able to be cut with bolt cutters. You can cable tie cables into the basket.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

They'll also cut with decent tinsnips. Any old oil paint would be better than nothing to protect the end. And perhaps plastic channel of some sort over the sharp edges to protect your head?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Turn it upside down and you should be able to cut it with as hacksaw, but the blade will keep jamming. The best way is with a very thin wheel in an angle grinder. Use a hand file to remove nasty sharp edges. Just paint over the cut afterwards.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Yes, you can, if there are two of you do it with a hacksaw, you need a person to maintain light pressure pulling the cut apart as you continue, assuming the other part is clamped somehow. I tend to use a finer cutting blade in the saw. You won't find me anywhere near an angle grinder even when I could see, the noise of cutting metal is truly awful. I used zinc paint over the end when i did it. It was actually better than the galvanising was. All good fun I wish I could still see to do that kid of thing. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You can cut it with a hacksaw, but it can be tricky cutting thin stuff without it snagging the blade. Keeping at a very low angle to keep several teeth in the cut at any time will help.

However, this being uk.d-i-y it would seem apt to highlight that an angle grinder with a thin cut off disc will make a quick and easy job of it.

Not especially IME unless its in a very corrosive environment.

Reply to
John Rumm

For a one off cut then yes. Even better if the cut lands on the holes:-)

Reply to
ARW

Decades ago, at work, they used to use a zinc rich paint called (IIRC) Galvafroid.

Alternatively, they often just used stainless steel cable tray.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Or even a Dremel type tool with a cutting disc - but you may get through a few discs!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Whats wrong with an ANGLE GRINDER!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What's wrong with reading the thread before you reply?

Reply to
Roger Mills