Galvanised nails?

I've just received an order for 3000 nails for a nail gun that I intend to use for a closeboard fence. I ordered galvanised nails and expected them to have the familiar rough grey coating. But the one that turned up have a gold looking finish that's much smoother than the galvanised finish that I would expect. I've put one of the nails in a shallow tray of water to see if it rusts - nothing yet!

My question to the floor: Are these really galvanised? Is this a new technology that I'm not familiar with?

Reply to
Bodgit

In message , Bodgit writes

BOP (bright zinc) nuts and bolts are shiny (presumably electro-plated, and not dipped). Dun about the gold coloured nails, though. Maybe they're gold plated!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

In message , Ian Jackson writes

When I posted it, that definitely said "BZP (bright zinc passivated) nuts and bolts....". Beaten again by the spell checker, it seems!

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Passivated BZP. Pretty standard for nail-guns (and common for screws as well).

I doubt it's as corrosion resistant as a dipped galvanised finish (but I might be wrong) but maybe all that soft zinc would end up jamming up a nailgun.

Reply to
Bolted

Bolted wrote in news:4ff75863-71a4-4f7d-9cba- snipped-for-privacy@l2g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Today I took out a shed load of BZP screws I used to put up a fence about 4 years ago, sheltered damp area of the garden - no sun. There's a little surface rusting on most but they all came out easily enough ... and went back in again when I re-positioned the fence. No sign that any had any thread damage whatsoever and none failed (snapped etc).

Glad I used screws now instead of nails.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

The reason I question is is because I was "browsing" in a BM yesterday (when the order came), and saw some proper galvanised nails (genuine Paslode brand so cost a fortune).

I'm just surprised that someone can sell something as "galvanised" when they're not!

Reply to
Bodgit

Bolted wrote in news:4ff75863-71a4-4f7d-9cba- snipped-for-privacy@l2g2000prg.googlegroups.com:

Today I took out a shed load of BZP screws I used to put up a fence about 4 years ago, sheltered damp area of the garden - no sun. There's a little surface rusting on most but they all came out easily enough ... and went back in again when I re-positioned the fence. No sign that any had any thread damage whatsoever and none failed (snapped etc).

Glad I used screws now instead of nails.

Reply to
Chris Wilson

Fair enough. Paslode like jamming anyway, I hear (no experience, just hearsay, I use air).

I think you'd be within your rights to send them back if they were described as galvanised rather than BZP, if you can be bothered. But the reason they were cheaper than the real thing was, as usual, that some quality was removed to reduce the price, so you takes your choice as ever.

Reply to
Bolted

Hot dip nails (etc.) are sold as "galvanised" when they are not.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

The expensive Paslode nails that are galvanised (Galv plus) actually look more like BZP passivated ones than traditional hot dipped nails do. The last lot I bought for a relatives fence were, last I saw, holding up well after about 5 years exposure.

Reply to
The Other Mike

That is zinc plating with chromate passivation. It is slighly cheaper than zinc plating with clear passivation, which you wouldn't notice.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

IMHE, there is no credible nail gun that uses credibly galvanised nails. This is a problem with the use of nail guns for chunky work.

Good galvanising on nails is a hot dip that comes out thick & rough. They don't rust, they don't work loose. OTOH, they don't feed easily through nail guns either. So all the nail gun nails I've seen have been some sort of basket electrogalvanise that is smooth and slippery, but also thin.

My "nail gun" is a thirty quid Vaughan framing hammer. It's lighter to carry and is sinks nails with one hit. People carrying 300 quid nailguns also exclaim surprise that I spent a whole thirty quid on a mere hammer. Mind you, add a lanyard to it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley