nails or screws?

Hi

I am going to use this type of siding for my front

I am not sure what is the best way to install it, should I use nails or screws? what type? what size?

I am thinking for 8x3 deck screw?

Do I need special tool? like nail gun etc or it can be done manually?

Thanks a lot.

Reply to
leza wang

I would get one of those black Makita LiON drill/drivers. It comes with 2 batteries and a quick charger for about $70.

Reply to
gfretwell

Hmmm, Whatrever you use, don't forget to make sure the siding has some ability to move. For example. it can expand and shrink when cold or hot. Don't drive the nail or screw TOO tight.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You say you are thinking of using deck screws and then ask if you need nail gun. You do know that a nail gun is for nails, not screws, right?

Assuming you are going to use screws, there's no way you want to it "manually". You want a powered driver like you asked for in your other thread. However, the screw heads will be more visible than nails. I've used screws with Smart Side and they definitely show more than nails would.

Nails can certainly be done manually - it's been done that way for centuries - but you might want to consider renting a nail gun.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Maybe it's just me, but when I have a new product I'm not familiar with, I read the manufacturer's installation instructions....

They talk about using nails, no mention of screws. I would think the issue with screws would be they take more work, cost more, are more difficult to hide and don't offer any compelling advantage. There is also a lot more there about how it to correctly install it besides fastening.

Reply to
trader4

PL adhesive on the studs - slap up the siding and hit it with the nail gun.. No less than every 18 inches. Twice that won't hurt, but not required with the glue.

Reply to
clare

am not sure what is the best way to install it, should I use nails or scre ws? what type? what size? I am thinking for 8x3 deck screw?

Do I need specia l tool? like nail gun etc or it can be done manually? Thanks a lot.

Don't use abbreviations like PL adhesive, Leza need to have things spelled out so there is no misunderstanding. I'm not even sure what PL adhesive is . and I've owned sever houses and do a LOT of repairs myself. Last outside r we had in our house for any type of repairs or appliance installation was 25 years ago

Reply to
hrhofmann

PL adhesive is PL adhesive - it is a generic term like "kleenex" for construction adhesive and any building supply will carry several versions. I'm not sure which number you would use for this application

- but even Home Despot has the applications listed.

Reply to
clare

PL isn't an abbreviation...it's a product line.

DerbyDad03

Hi, Naturally when I think siding, screws do not even register in my head. I don't remember anyone doing siding job wielding drill to screw. I saw pop,pop nail gun or tap, tap hammer.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

The manufacture recommended nails. Look at

for the installation instructions.

Reply to
bnlmnd1

This web page says, "PL® is the professional line of Loctite® products," so I guess that PL stands for Professional Line.

Reply to
pilgrim

I wouldn't even consider screws. If you apply them with a power tool, they will likely go in too deep in some places and leave ugly holes. You could put them in by hand if you want to do a lot of work, and that way you can control the depth. But screws will be more noticable.

If this was my job, I'd use gavanized nails, probably a 6 penny size, and drive them in by hand with a hammer, which will yield the best results. Power nailers can tend to drive nails in too deep just like screws, or not deep enough, which will require using a hammer to fix. I may be old fashioned, but those are small nails and not that hard to hammer in.

Since that siding appears to be pre-finished, do they make a colored nail for it, to match the color? I'd ask about that. But galvanized nails wont be all that bad of a look either. And maybe you'll still paint the finished wall????

Reply to
mancave

The Smart siding is pre-primed, not pre-finished.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Reminds me of the old joke. What's the difference between an English major and a pizza?

A pizza can feed a family of four.

Reply to
Robert Green

On Thu, 25 Jul 2013 05:41:24 -0500 in alt.home.repair, snipped-for-privacy@toolshed.com wrote,

Aren't they adjustable?

Reply to
David Harmon

The question is "Can you use screws instead of nails on LP smart Siding. " After not seeing any intelligent answers to this question I called LP (Louisiana Pacific) as there is no mention of screws in the literature. YES- you can use screws, just be sure they are either galvanized or stainless steel. Still need to penetrate 1.5 inch into studs. Would be nice if they would put this in their literature. My projects are small DIY at home things and I frequently disassemble to re use or alter what I build, so I have stopped using nails as much as possible. Also, good to know-- Smart Side is different from Hardi as it is not a cement boared; it is an engineered wood product, so much easier to work with using conventional wood tools.

Reply to
6kooter

Well, it's in the installation detail documents under alternative fastening section p 3ff...

• 38 Series Strand Substrate lap must be fastened with:

-Minimum #8 hot dip galvanized tapered head wood screw, spaced a maximum of 12 inches (305 mm) o.c. or...

-Minimum 6d (0.092 inch shank diameter) hot-dipped galvanized ring shank nail, spaced a maximum of 8 inches (203 mm) o.c.

• 76 Series Strand Substrate lap must be fastened with:

-Minimum #8 hot dip galvanized tapered head wood screw, spaced a maximum of 16 inches (406 mm) o.c. or...

-Minimum 6d (0.092 inch shank diameter) hot-dipped galvanized ring shank nail, spaced a maximum of 12 inches o.c.

Reply to
dpb

To me, that is saying "buy a nail gun" I don't see that a 3" screw is needed, but nailing will save a lot of time.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Indeed. We just finished residing the whole house plus the new entryway w/ the product. Nailed, using nail gun. Driving nail by hand is possible but difficult; the surface is hardened and so not like starting nail in cedar or even fir siding--you gots to whack it hard which most nonprofessionals can't do well starting.

We'll have to see how it holds up to SW KS weather...looks good initially, anyways...

--

Reply to
dpb