Cedar and galvanized nails

Has anyone heard that I can't use galvanized nails with cedar wood. Someone has suggested that I will get some sort of chemical reaction. This will be used on the outside of my house with a good coat of latex paint covering it. Tks. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Hot dipped galvanized nails should be okay. See:

Nova

stainless.

The reaction is to the stuff in cedar that makes it the wood resist = rotting.

Does not matter if the nails are painted over they will rust in short = order.

Mine did and I switched to stainless - no more rot and no more bleeding

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

I had a gorgeous cedar clapboard job ruined because the nails gave up the ghost. The dark streaks made it an eyesore. If it's painted you'll _probably_ not have a problem with galvanized nails, but I'd use stainless anyway. It's cheap insurance.

RicodJour

Yes, sounds right. When we bought cedar to clad my folks' retirement home, the supplier warned us against galv and suggested bronze or stainless nails. We used the bronze ... just have to be careful to hit them square on (which is why we didn't let my father nail any). He's an old sailor with two left hands and 10 thumbs.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

Well, McFeeley's is in the business of selling stainless steel nails, so they might be a bit overselling, but here's a link that claims hot dip galvanized nails aren't the best option with Western Red cedar:

On the other hand, the Cedar Shake & Shingle Bureau recommends stainless, hot-dipped zinc, or aluminum nails.

Suffice to say, the coating on a galvanized nail might fail and might stain, while stainless will not.

If you go with galvanized, get double hot-dipped nails, which should eliminate defects in the coating that will stain.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

My 30 year old cedar sided house has spiral galvanized nails, acrylic "stain" and nary a rust spot. Maybe those old nails were better.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Thank you. The siding that I am replacing has galvanized nails and I see no sign of stain. The siding was installed in 1972. I will go with galvanized. Now to see if I can use a nail gun.

Reply to
Chuck

I have not heard that "you" can't". ;~) I build more fences than the average wood worker. I build them with cedar and galvanized ring shank nails, in a nail gun. You will get some discoloration, eventually, if left exposed to the elements.

IF you are also using any "modern pressure treated wood" be sure and get the ACQ specified galvanized nails or they will react with the PT wood and fail prematurely.

Reply to
Leon

You can buy screws for cedar they are brown anodized coated

Rusty

Hot-dip galvanized nails should work ok, provided that they have a good, thick coating. The problem I've seen in the past few years is that the coating is not nearly as thick as in the past, and it can crack and flake when being pounded in to the wood. Of course, a path for water into the steel will lead to bleeding.

When I installed my cedar deck, all of the reputable advice (e.g., not from the fastener manufacturers) recommended stainless steel fasteners for cedar, so I swallowed hard and bought stainless. Still looks great! Except now I kick myself for not swallowing a bit harder and buying ipe decking.

Reply to
bsa441

Does "They don't make them like they used to." soud familiar??

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

OK I am gonna use SS. Screws. Square drive and about 2 1/2" long, Thanks to all for the input. Really appreciate it. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

CAUTION: There're two kinds of galvanized: dipped and plated. Make sure you get the dipped.

Reply to
HeyBub

Thanks. I decided to go with SS screws. Thanks for the help. Chuck

Reply to
Chuck

Good choice. The SS screws won't rust like the galvanized. SS won't streak wood like galvanized.

Reply to
Phisherman

Back in the 70s they used a different type of galvanization. But the galvanization formula used today causes the reaction. I am certain hot dipped nails will, but am uncertain about electroplated nails.

Reply to
Class Act Rain Gutters

Hot dipped galvanized shouldn't be an issue for cedar. They are frowned on for outdoor use today because the chemistry used in modern pressure treated lumber will defeat galvanizing of any kind thanks to the EPA saving us from ourselves.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Twelve years later,,,, When I put up fencing it was advised to use Aluminum nails to prevent staining.

Reply to
Leon

In modern times, stainless nails are preferred for cedar siding. They're cheap, compared to the siding and the labor to put the stuff on the wall.

Reply to
krw