Bright nails instead of galvanized on siding

Hi all,

I just shot some brights into Hardiplank siding (I was out of galvanized for my gun and couldn't find any in time).

How long do you think it will take to see the rust streaks?

Thanks, Budman

Reply to
Budman

What's the difference? 2 months or 2 years, they're going to show. You blew it.

Reply to
G Henslee

About 15 minutes after the rain quits... :)

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Seal each nail head well before painting will delay it. If you were planning on stain, forget it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

should use stainless steel nails

Reply to
I R Baboon

Has it rained yet?

Reply to
dadiOH

In alt.home.repair on 26 Jul 2005 12:26:37 -0700 "Budman" posted:

Don't feel too bad. My next door neighbor bought a fence, pieces assembled at the fence company, and they didn't use galvanized either. I don't know if he complained or not, but the fence is still there.

OTOH, the fence company is out of business.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

I just repainted my garage door. Stupid me used sandpaper to smooth the door and went right over the bolts holding it together thus taking off the galvinization on the top of the bolts. That was last week and the rust is already bleeding thru the paint. I will try to seal it with some Kilz but I suspect I will be replacing some bolts before the summer is over.

Reply to
Jmagerl