Removing handles from aluminium door

Hi, my front door handle plate has come loose but I can't remove the handle / plate to tighten the screws. The handles have grub screws which I have removed but the handle is still very firmly stuck to the shaft. The face plates have no visible screws but do have a black plastic end cap top and bottom. It is possible to lever these caps up/down a little but not enough to release the face plate, anyway the handles would still prevent the plate being removed. Do I need to be more brutal and prize the handle off the shaft or there some trick to this. The lock is a union monarch aluminium with a euro cylinder.

Thanks for any replies.

Reply to
MarkB

Had a similar problem with mine, and eventualy found that the plates were very thin and had to be levered off to allow access to the fixings underneath. It wasn't at all obvious that that was the arrangement. YMMV

Reply to
zikkimalambo

Ok thanks, did you have to remove the handles first?

Mark

Reply to
MarkB

Ok sucess, Handle comes off with the face plate as long as the grub screw is removed. Shaft stays in the lock. Not nice levering the face plate off the end caps, which are screwed to the opposite face plate through the door, but it worked.

Thanks very much.

Mark

Reply to
MarkB