remote humidistat

I need a remote humidistat to control an existing window mounted bathroom fan. Googling the group brings up a suggestion from John Rumm of:

"

"A general search was not successful being deluged by references to integral humidistats. The only other option I have so far come across is the Xpelair XRH.

Both these options seem rather expensive for what they do so are there any cheaper reliable items out there that I have missed or do I bite the bullet and follow Johns suggestion?

Reply to
Roger

David

Reply to
Lobster

Saw this on Ebay,

Donwill

I've got one of these in my bathroom.

works OK. I've posted about it before on here, try googling for it.

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

The message from Lobster contains these words:

Sorry. I have no idea how that came about. It is not even an item I looked at. I thought I had just copied and pasted the link from Johns original post. The item in question is in fact the one Jon has now put forward.

Reply to
Roger

I have used this one in the past:

control an inline ducted fan connected to the showerlight extraction vent you linked to above.

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

Thanks John (and Jon).

So that is what happened. When I went back to collect the link I managed to copy the wrong one. Mea very culpa.

With no other suggestions forthcoming it looks like I will be buying the above item.

Reply to
Roger

They are quite pricey. Once option would be to butcher the module from a humidistat fan, but then these are not exactly cheap.

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

My diy skills don't extend very far in that direction. :-)

Reply to
Roger

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

the unit is turned upside down.

The live supply to the fan is split and should be connected to terminals '1' (live) and '2' (live out). As there is no neutral connection the actual operation must be mechanical so does it really matter if the live and the switched live are transposed or indeed am I being obtuse in seeing a potential problem?

I suspect that there has been a minor redesign which turned the internal module upside down but hold it the right way up and the terminals are on the wrong surface at the wrong end with the order reversed.

The terminals require crimped connectors which are supplied but I am not sure the cheap crimping tool I have is up to the task so any suggestions for a tool that would work, that is available over the Internet and doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Reply to
Roger

Well, I expect it would work either way round, however for the sake of completeness I would wire it as per the instructions.

Either that, or yours has been assembled badly.

Depending on the type of crimps supplied, your current tool may hack it. If however they are fully insulated style crimps, then:

may be cheaper sources)

Reply to
John Rumm

The message from John Rumm contains these words:

Which is where I came in. I find the instruction open to interpretation.

Not just assembly, the control knob is on the left on the item and on the right on the illustration.

Reply to
Roger