Xpelair XRH Remote Humidistat stopped working

My Xpelair XRH Remote Humidistat has just stopped working. Just outside the 12 months warranty of course. The thing uses a nylon woven band to sense, and I guess some type of microswitch to activate. The thing is basically electro-mechanical. I noticed it did not switch on when the shower was operated, then required turning up much higher to activate after a shower. It did however switch off after a while. But definitely it has suddenly started playing up. I suppose there could be a spider in there, or maybe it does not like hairspray. Anyone got one of these and had any problems ? Any ideas? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Traditionally, those sensors were horse hair in which case hair spray is probably instant-death. They might be something man-made now. However, I'm surprised a switch which is only a year old is not using an electronic sensor element.

A problem with a humidity sensor at this time of year is that it has been 100% RH outside some of the time, and depending on the ventilation and heating in the room, that can trigger it and/or significantly reduce the change in humidity which the fan can achieve.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

the 12 months warranty of course.

croswitch to activate. The thing is basically electro-mechanical.

The woven nylon band is about 70mm long. I believe it is more sensitive tha n an electronic sensor when properly working. Its strange how it suddenly s topped working though, which makes me think it may be an insect inside or w hatever. When I'll have time to look though who knows. I'll have to tell th e family to switch it on manually. The guts of the thing is a sensor available from RS if it comes to that. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

de the 12 months warranty of course.

microswitch to activate. The thing is basically electro-mechanical.

han an electronic sensor when properly working. Its strange how it suddenly stopped working though, which makes me think it may be an insect inside or whatever. When I'll have time to look though who knows. I'll have to tell the family to switch it on manually.

the guts of it is this:

sm_jamieson

he 12 months warranty of course.

oswitch to activate. The thing is basically electro-mechanical.

d turning up much higher to activate after a shower. It did however switch off after a while.

be a spider in there, or maybe it does not like hairspray.

Well, I cleaned out inside - there was some dust and little bits of debris that must have got in during installation. It relies on a roller which mayb e was not moving freely. It is now working OK, although strangely the set p oint has moved quite a bit - too much for just the atmospheric conditions. Since its a mechanical device maybe something slipped ! Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson