Disassembling Ekornes reclining chair

I need to disassemble an Ekornes chair made in 2003.

All is easy except for detaching the backrest from the seat arm assembly.

Apparently, the new designs have a plastic locking ring that threads onto the pins at the ends of the seat arm assembly.

In mine, the plastic ring is just decorative. The seat arm assembly is solidly attached to the backrest via a metal union.

I have tried to detach that metal union without success.

Ekornes faxed me the assembling instructions for the new chairs. They do not have any other instructions.

Anybody would know how to do it?

Thanks,

Antonio

Reply to
asalcedo

I have the instruction s that came with the chairs.

Assembly instructions a: Squeeze the back cushion around the fitting so that the attachment bolts are visible. b: Push the attachment bolts onto the dowels at the end of the armrests and push together well. c: slide the plastic washer on the back cover to cover the connection and lock everything in place.

Our chair came apart at this very joint. Looks like a dovetail joint, so push one part up and the other down .

Hope this makes sense Ann

Reply to
Ann

Hello Ann,

Yes, I managed to do it.

And you are right, it is a V shaped dovetail joint. Once I found that out, it was a matter of pushing a bit harder than before in the right direction. Mine was a bit rusty, which explains why my first, blind, attempts did not make the joint yield anything.

Many thanks,

Antonio

Reply to
asalcedo

Angle grinder.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The Ekornes video is of poor quality and I could not see exactly what needed to be done. I disassembled a recently purchased used Taurus Ekornes chair. You will need a six sided screw driver which is impossible to see on the video. The dovetail joint was stuck on my chair.

Good luck.

Reply to
Tim Boyle

replying to asalcedo, Trudy Meister wrote: Alsalcedo...I have a 2006 st.chair with the Same problem I would like to contact you to get a clearer picture

Reply to
Trudy Meister

You may be unlucky judging by the date of the original post!

Reply to
alan_m