How to set humidistat / air conditioner in summer - extended vacation

I just moved to southern Florida and the home has a humidistat. In the summer when here, I usually set the A/C to 76 degrees and the humidistat is set to ON. When I go on a 3 month vacation in 3 weeks, what is recommended to set the humidistat and A/C to assure myself the humidity is not too high as to promote mold?

Reply to
Les

recommended

I set the thermostat to 80 and the humidistat to 60 and those settings work for me.

Reply to
JerryL

I concur with Jerrys settings.

Dave

Reply to
HVAC IsFun

Davey, you still concur with the facts that you stated that you wanted to have sex with your customers kids??? STill like getting underaged children pregnant?

Still playing the Bible game?

Reply to
CBhVAC:)

This is Turtle.

I do have a Humitistat on my system and found 55% RH to 60% RH and 72ºF to be good here in Louisiana but not in Florida.

Now when your gone. You can set on 90ºF and 90% RH . Moisture will not form on anything at 90% RH and 90ºF.

These things are nice to have.

TURTLE

P.S. or is a resident Troll over at alt.hvac newsgroup and he has show up here. He loves to start a Flame war.

Reply to
TURTLE

Hey, I'm going to show this to my wife. She never thinks I'm right.

Reply to
JerryL

be good here in Louisiana but not in Florida.

form on anything at 90% RH and 90ºF.

You don't need to have water vapor condensing to grow molds. 90+ºF and 90% RH are typical of the swamps down here in southern Fl in the summer, and you should see what that can grow.

We've used 86-7º and 65% for 14 years when we're away, as have many others we know here in SW FL, and it's worked well. I'm not sure what sort of humidistat setup you have, but with ours, which is wired in parallel with the AC thermostat, if left at ON it will overide the thermostat and the AC will run continuously. A well-meaning friend did that to us a couple of years ago and it cost us $170 vs a normal $25 for electricity for the period it was on.

Reply to
Martin

This is Turtle.

Most all Humitistat will over ride the thermostat and will run the cooling system till the RH gets to the set point. You had said your friend left the humitistat on and it run all the time. If he set it any where below 50% it will never shut off. If you want it to just cut everything off. You better cut the Humitistat off too.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

You will get different answers on this but i go by 70% or less humidity keeps mold from growing. But ive heard as low as 55%. It depends on your house, also if there are any leaks , you may need to set for less rh% to pull out moisture from wet areas. Or more than 70% if ideal conditions exist. Here inside it gets to 87% and nobody I know of would spend the money or worry if on vacation. Mold starts with active leaks or extreme dampness . And even at 85% + It doesnt grow in my basement. Every house is different though.

Reply to
m Ransley

This is Turtle.

Watch who your listening to here for is a Troll. Your fixing to get eat up here.

80ºF temp. and RH of 60% is a little warm for most people. 75ºF temp. and a RH of 60% is norm.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

Hello, welcome to our banana republic called south Florida.

85f / 85%RH. Based on what customers tell me works for them. Your mileage may vary.

Mark

Reply to
fix-MEC-Getcool-florida454

Holding 60%RH is asking for a lot of run-time. Consider the location.

You are fired! Please exit the gene pool.

Reply to
fix-MEC-Getcool-florida454

"You are fired! Please exit the gene pool"

My browser shows my comment above under Turtles post. This was not directed at Turtle.

I know Turtle from years back when I was a regular netizen. He is a multi generation A/C man with valued real world experience and I have nothing but respect for him.

Reply to
GETCOOL-MARK