Redundant 13 amp socket

As they come from above, you could break into them higher up the wall and install a clock socket, like this

Then install a clock over the top of it (either mains or battery), would that me more acceptable?

Reply to
Toby

Stupidly, I hadn't thought of that! However, not a clock but a blanking plate would be more acceptable if it was high up. Thanks.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

If you're going to use a battery clock then a bit of terminal strip in a back box and a blanking plate would be a cheaper alternative.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

In message , DerbyBorn writes

The best way to hide something is to make it strand out - paint a funny face on it something similar.

Reply to
bert

are they available in pastel shades?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Using one during a soldering operation seems pointless, all you end up doing is heating up the heatsink, leading to a longer period at or around the melting point for the joint or junction.

For attachment post completion of soldering they may possibly have their uses to prevent insulation / junction damage

Reply to
The Other Mike

In the days of germanium transistors (Red or white spot), the crocodile clip heat shunts were very useful to shunt the heat of soldering away from the junction by attaching them to the wire being soldered. Germanium junctions were very easy to destroy by heat.

I suppose you've guessed how I know....

Reply to
John Williamson

At the college I was at in the 60s we had a tektronics?? transistor tester. I remember one day we put a red spot (or it might have been something like an oc71) in it. Someone thought they'd try heating it with a lighter for several seconds. Sure enough it affected the characteristics, they drifted up off the screen. When the lighter was removed they came back to almost the original position on the screen. Since then in a working lifetime fixing electronics I /never/ used a heat shunt when soldering semiconductors. As someone else said, the right heat does it quickly enough not to damage the device.

PVC and similar thermoplastic insulated cable is another matter!

Reply to
<me9

That reminds me of a bad joke.

Q What do you say to a woman with two balck eyes?

A Nothing, you have already told her twice

Reply to
ARW

:-)

Reply to
ARW

"When the lighter was removed, they came back to *almost* the original position on the screen." So, you saw a non-reversible effect caused by heat. Sounds to me like a good reason to use a heat shunt in the case of that type of transistor, especially if the application is intolerant of semiconductor changes, as many were in the days of Red spot transistors.

Admittedly, I very rarely used a heat shunt in Germanium days, and never for silicon, which is much more tolerant of heating.

Reply to
John Williamson

The almost was because it almost cooled to the original temperature. Another

5 minutes and it probably would have but we had more mischief to get up to.
Reply to
<me9

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk:

I hope so!

I am favouring a blanking plate up near the ceiling.

Reply to
DerbyBorn