Redundant 13 amp socket

On Monday 22 July 2013 18:40 Dave Plowman (News) wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Though it matters less if it fails - at least in the specific radio context :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Any bugger can solder. There's nowt to it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A bit expensive, but this is what I use.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

An electrical fault in a car can kill you just as dead as one in a house.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Oh, you're just dealing with daftness there. Tell her if she doesn't behave you'll withdraw your sexual services.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

On Monday 22 July 2013 19:20 Bill Wright wrote in uk.d-i-y:

It's *considerably* less likely. You've only go to look at Landrover and Fiat's wiring to know that!

Reply to
Tim Watts

FFS. If it's accessible via a blank plate a choc block will be fine.

Stick to talking s**te about renewables.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Monday 22 July 2013 19:16 Bill Wright wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Obvious to thee, me and lots of others here :)

But would the OP know how to make the joint mechanically sound before soldering (ie you never rely on just blobbing to wires together with a bit of solder for anything that matters).

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Monday 22 July 2013 19:29 Tim Watts wrote in uk.d-i-y:

And I did say "radio" that mostly reduces the risk to fire, which is failry unlikely if you are connecting to a fused circuit.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Make the joints by soldering and heatshrinking, or use a good quality connector block (it's your house so you do as you see fit).

If she won't have a blank plate cut a piece out of a tupperware lid that fits exactly in the hole, and rests on the screw lugs so it is about a quarter inch below the surface. Rough sand or score this piece of plastic, or drill a lot of minute holes in it, as a key. Shove it in the hole. Hold it in place with panel pins if necessary. Mix some polyfilla with the absolute minimum of water (leave it five minutes and it will become looser, so allow for that). Fill over the hole.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Cars are always catching fire due to bad connections.

Do you want to be highly likely to be killed, considerably less likely to be killed, or would you prefer not to be killed at all?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Aye, but most people who install their own radios just look for something with 12V on it. That might be fused or it might not.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

This also works if you need to mend a hole in the petrol tank.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Well that's the wife's vagina sorted then.

Reply to
ARW

On Monday 22 July 2013 19:41 Bill Wright wrote in uk.d-i-y:

and of course it will get more interesting with electric vehicles and umpeenty hundred volt lithium batteries -

But I was arguing from the more traditional case :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Monday 22 July 2013 19:39 Bill Wright wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I survived a Fiat 131 Mirafiori for about 20 years that melted something electrical on a regular basis - including solid metal fuse contacts!

You're usually awake when in a car.

A car is more often than not away from the house.

You'd have to be *very* unlucky to die due to a car fire.

Reply to
Tim Watts

:)

Reply to
SteveW

No use to me:-)

Reply to
ARW

The very first thing I did on an electrical workshop course in 1960 was to make a soldering bolt with a nice groove in which the cable could rest.

Reply to
charles