Redundant 13 amp socket

Some alterations have left us with a double socket where SWMBO does not want it (It was above a kitchen worktop - we have removed the worktop in that part of the kitchen.) The socket is on the ring - two cables to it. The box is a 35mm deep one and is also deep in the plaster. I seem to recall that if I want to plaster over it (plasterboard first) then I have to have the cables crimped - choc block not allowed.

Is this correct? Is there any way that I can legally join the cables and insulate them so that I can cover over the socket. I don't have access to a crimper.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

a pair of pliers or a pipe wrench will crimp OK

Or you could solder and use heatshrink.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

My initial reaction is that you never have enough sockets in a kitchen and it will soon get used for something.

Reply to
charles

charles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@charleshope.demon.co.uk:

I've tried that arguement! Even tried suggesting a little shelf for putting mobile phones on for charging!

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Ha. We've got a socket in place for an intended little shelf. Trouble is, now SWMBO does not want the little shelf. So now we've got a silly socket halfway up the wall same as you ... Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

You could solder it together, however, if this is plastered over, will that mean there are cables in the wall that are not in line with an accessory (basically, is there another socket in the same straight (not diagonal) line as this one?)

So if you had this along the wall...

SKT1-----SKT2----SKT3

removal of any of them will be OK unless the one you are removing has a cable going up or down, without another socket above or below it.

Reply to
Toby

With care ... perhaps. But also has the potential to leave a poor joint.

Assuming, of course, that the OP has the required skills and tools to produce a sound joint.

For about 15 quid the OP can get a decent ratchet crimp tool and a selection of insulated crimps, Not much extra cost on revamping the kitchen.

There's a good step by step guide on making crimped joints in the wiki . The wiki article advises using heat shrink over the joint but lack of enough spare cable lenght inside the box will make it difficult to initially slide the sleeve out of the way along the wire.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

That suggestion makes sense and we all know that SWMBOs can't see sense.

Reply to
PeterC

Perfectly useful for plugging the vacuum cleaner in.

JGH

Reply to
jgh

It is all alone on a blank wall.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

On Monday 22 July 2013 15:31 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

With all due respect, no it won't and I cannot believe you just advicated that!

Not for this purpose. Hacking a radio feed in a car, yes. Mains power with the possibility that a failed joint will cause safety problems in the system, no.

Halfords crimpers are not adequate either.

That would be better. Proper ratchet crimpers are not that expensive.

However, if the join is to be solders, the joint must be mechanically sound first (able to support itself before soldering).

One way is to overap the two solid cores

======--------- ---------=======

then bind the middle bit with some thinner copper wire.

Then solder, heatshrink the cores and heatshrink the whole joint.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In that case, you need to also remove the wires to it, leave it there, or replace it with a blanking plate unless there is something the other side of the wall in the same line, and the wall is 100mm or less in thickness.

If the wires go down to under a suspended floor, and you can get to them, you could cut them off here and join them under the floor. Leaving the dead wires in the wall is fine.

The reason for this is, if someone at a later date decides to drill a hole in the wall, they would not be expected to know these cables are buried in the wall, so could hit them unexpectedly.

The only exception to this is if the wires are within a 150mm band from a wall or ceiling.

Toby

Keep the socket and kitchen and change the SWMBO. You may need advice on building a patio in a hurry...

You could buy one of these, use it and then take it back :)

Don't, under any circumstances be tempted to bodge a crimp with a non ratchet crimp tool or pliers etc.

Alternatively if the cables will reach and it is in a convenient place you might be able to get an outside socket with a bit of drilling and cable rerouting

Reply to
The Other Mike

How long have you been married?

SWMBO has had her say:-)

Reply to
ARW

+1 Without the respect. ;-)

Crimped connection on car cable, being multi stranded - if anything - need the correct crimp tool more.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Correct. In industrial control panel building, crimp tools have to be regularly calibrated (and the fact recorded) to ensure they are providing neither too much or too little crimping.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

just over 50 years, if you must know.

Reply to
charles

Christ on a bike. I have never stayed with the same woman for longer than 3 years.

Reply to
ARW

In message , DerbyBorn writes

Stick a blanking plate on it?

Reply to
bert

Yes that's your best plan. Use a blowlamp to solder. Do not permanently cover/plaster over the joint, you may need access to it & may not even be able to find it. Use a blanking plate

Reply to
harryagain