Redundant 13 amp socket

The OP may of course find that the connection can't be plastered over without leaving live wires outside a safe zone, though we can't be sure about that without more information.

Reply to
docholliday93

On Tuesday 23 July 2013 15:35 snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in uk.d-i-y:

That is also a very good point!

Reply to
Tim Watts

About 9 months if he doesn't withdraw quick enough.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

What, a personal massager ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Ah. Sounds like the ideal way of convincing SWMBO the socket must be left there. 10/10.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That, too.

I'm sure I saw something similar on Amazon UK, but the only one I can find now is this US one.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Perhaps a suitably decorative blanking plate? :-)

#Paul

Reply to
news13k

Tell her there's two options.

  1. We leave the socket alone.
  2. We remove it, plaster over the hole, and fix one of these at the same place:

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A little shelf attached to a plug (say an adapter block). So you plug in the shelf

/plug and pop your electric toothbrush / mobile phone / personal massager on top and away you go !

Sounds good. Is there a model suitable for my 46" telly?

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

I have been using the Wago 222 and 224 series connectors for a while and they really are excellent. The 773 and 222 series can be used in junction boxes in ceilings and walls and according to the application guide: "Connectors should be used within a suitable enclosure. There is no requirement to secure the terminal blocks providing the cables are glanded or secured outside the enclosure with clips/saddles"

With the 224 series "A ceiling rose can act as the enclosure for these connectors as long as conductors are secured.

For power applications I use the Wago boxes which have simple but effective cable grips to enclose the connectors. When used in back boxes I use Hama cable clamps as additional security on the belt and braces principle.

Reply to
rbel

lt and

Looks good - but I would still have the problem of live cables in the wall without a visible accessory to indicate where they are. Perhaps the Wago connector and then extend down to a socket at skirting level where she probably won't object. If I considered this - as the redundant socket is on a ring - could I take a spur off the Wago and then bury it?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I don't think we have been told which way the cables actually arrive at this socket have we? If the come up from the floor just open up the plaster find the cables, go 4 or so inches above the top of where a new box will go and cut them off (mains off!), pull back and into new box, wire to socket as normal. The cables above are now dead and the old accessory hole can be filled.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Depends on the direction the cables run. If its down, then a lower socket would be fine. If they currently go horizontally, and you need to "turn a corner" to go down, then you would have no indication of the horizontal bit of the run.

Reply to
John Rumm

snip

Leave it where it is and plug her chair into it.

Reply to
fred

John Rumm wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@brightview.co.uk:

They (a pair) come down. Reluctant to try and get at them above the ceiling. Favouring going down to a descrete socket just above the skirting. Do I need to extend both or can I "convert" it to a spur?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

On Wednesday 24 July 2013 22:21 DerbyBorn wrote in uk.d-i-y:

You can convert it to a spur - it is standard configuration (spurs may come from a junction on a ring without ther ebeing an accessory at that junction).

Reply to
Tim Watts

It this case it would make sense to extend both - just crimp and heatshrink extensions on, then drop them to where you want them. The original backbox can be removed / plastered over.

Reply to
John Rumm

While "legal", I would suggest its a bit confusing have two wires vanish into a wall, but then only have one appear at the likely accessory.

Reply to
John Rumm

I wouldn't very little extra work to bring both down and makes the crimp joints simple "barrels" rather some harder to find 3 way affair.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On Wednesday 24 July 2013 23:37 John Rumm wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Reply to
Tim Watts