16mm deep double socket backbox

Can anyone suggest where I can buy a 16mm deep metal backbox for a double wall socket? I've found singles with the required depth, but not doubles.

Thanks,

Andrew

Reply to
Andy Johnson

will a 16mm one take a socket as well as the cables from it? 16mm is normally used just for a light switch. The smallest depth suggested for sockets is 25mm - I've just measureed a spare MK socket I have and its 15mm deep, A 16mm box would definitely be too shallow.

Reply to
charles

I doubt it.

And even that is a bit of a squeeze, 38mm is much better.

Wonder why the OP wants a 15mm double box?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

MK certainly used to make plaster depth two gang boxes. Try somewhere other than TLC. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

a look at MK's own website shows the slimmest double box is 25mm.

Reply to
charles

Dave did say "used" to make.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not surprised as a 6 gang switch would have a lot of wires to cram into such a small space. But they did once make them. A 'Google' on plaster depth two gang brings up a hit or two.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

True, but he implied that if you looked beyond TLC, you'd find one.

Reply to
charles

Its to replace an existing 16mm box that has a missing tab that the socket = screws into. It was like this when we moved into the house: I'm not complet= ely sure why a 16mm box was used, but I suspect that there is a conduit (or= even a pipe) a short was back in the brick behind the box. I don't want to= risk excavating space for a deeper box. The socket seemed to fit ok, thoug= h it was tight. I didn't have any safety concerns. (Question: should I?)

If I can't find a 16mm box then I may try repairing the existing box with a= tab taken from another box. Alternatively I'll fit a plastic box that proj= ects out from the skirting: its concealed by a bed so this would be accepta= ble.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Johnson

I have only ever seen a few in use. They were both used for double sockets and one of them had a massive burn mark where the live cable was crushed against it:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

That would be my main concern with a 15mm box and a socket. 1 or

1.5mm is relatively flexible and a some what smaller diameter than 2.5mm.

With old sockets the wires generally came out of the terminals at 90 degress to the back of the socket. Fitting into a 15mm box would force quite a sharp bend in the wire close to the terminal.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

'Cause that is all the builders had left? Or is it a DIY job and who ever did it didn't know any better?

Not likely to be anything other than brick in the brick. Even those bricks with three holes down 'em aren't (shouldn't be...) used to carry any services.

See other post.

I think you can get extension frames rather than having to use a 25 or 38mm surface box.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice