Realistic PDA/smartphone choices?

I use a BB for work. I've found the browser quite frustrating - though admittedly that may be something to do with it being cached through work's server.

BBs are designed, in my opinion, for double thumb typing. You can go pretty fast on them once you get used to it.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

In this month's (August) PC Pro, they say that iPhone packages (i.e. monthly cost) tend to cost more than Android packages, and much of that extra is a subsidy to Apple. They explain further that the new mini-SIM ensures you can't just get an iPhone, and stick any old SIM in it. Not sure on the truth of that really.

Reply to
John Whitworth

Do they also explain that the Android is waste of components? Because it is.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'm not sure you can. I've only read a number of threads where people also think they should be able to ... but can't.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

My typing is pretty much equally in need of improvement no matter what the input method. It's mainly that I had the impression that there was less hype and more business level functionality with the Blackberry. Perhaps that's just the effect of their marketing expertise.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Sounds about right to me. My impression is that the only thing going for the iPhone is that it mostly does what it claims to be able to do, which could be quite helpful, if true.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Although external bluetooth keyboards are available for not too many pennies - rather pointless though.

Maybe some form of PC replacement is more worth considering then.

I understand that the cheap PAYG on mobile phones we're accustomed to in the UK does not happen in Canada, so I don't know what sort of data packages are available.

Reply to
Owain

Yes, probably a mini-burden in a "traveling light" situation.

I agree, though I can understand my daughter's wish for that PC replacement to be a smartphone if at all possible.

Yes, you're right, on checking I see that UK style PAYG is thin on the ground in Canada. There are some pre-pay services as far as I can tell. Maybe this Rogers range for instance:

her calls home can be made using VOIP through WiFi, this combination may work out quite well.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Not sure I understand your comment. If it really is waste, then Android is a beautiful way to recycle it.

I'm sure, however, that you dislike Android. Would be helpful for the OP if you could expand a little, with your reasons.

Cheers

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

In the same way that you expanded on your hatred of the iPhone you mean?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
Anita Palley

My daughter is in Canada (Montreal) at the moment and her general Internet and mobile access seems to have taken a major backward step from South America where Internet cafes were cheap as chips and she was always on Facebook and Skype.

The mobile phone networks seem to follow the US model of charging for receiving calls and texts and her two hosts over there don't seem to have much in the way of fast Internet access.

I have emailed her for more details.

So probably best to work out what services are affordable in Canada - if mobiles charges are way expensive and the WiFi infrastructure and general Broadband is poor then it may be a waste of time investigating the latest high functionality smart phones.

If you can't afford to run the apps then there is not much point in having them :-)

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Mr Whitworth made this observation: "I've never been a fan of iPhones (I'll go Apple bashing any day)"

It therefore seems hypocritical in the extreme that he shoudl then demand that others justify in (presumably technical) detail why they dislike particular technologies.

Your response seems to show a particular lack of observation of what has been said in the thread or a particular mindset, which is it? I note for example that you didn't post "oh dear" in response to his vacuous offering.

If Mr Whitworth turns his Android Fanboi Apple Sukz!! attitude into something that has substance I'll do the same for the Android.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I'd appreciate hearing about the response to that.

As is often the case with computers and their software, though maybe a little less so, there are various paths that can be followed which either increase or decrease the cost of use.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I think you want a cheap local phone and a netbook.

But the Dell mini 10v seems to be stopped.

similar.

Mike Halmarack wrote:

Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

Give in and get her an iPhone. It's what she really wants, it's what all her friends have.

This advice should not be taken as negating my contempt for all things Apple and their iMarketing technique. But, hell, it's your daughter. Be nice!

Reply to
Laurence Payne

This would be a good choice. I'm going to suggest it.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

OK...fair enough. I touched a nerve - sorry. Here is my dislike for Apple, bulletpointed:

- proprietary, locked down.

- no Flash.

- appearance over functionality (admittedly more Mac than iPhone)

- forcefeeding of software to 'support' the devices (i.e. iTunes)

- Apple fanboys, like the numpty who overheard me talking to a friend about MP3 players in a supermarket queue, who then turned round, interrupted, and started telling me that I needed an iPod, 'cos it was so ... ooh ... incredible.

All of those could be described as advantages, perhaps, but not to me - I prefer an open architecture.

Your turn.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

I guess you missed the comment about "hideous inconsistent mess"?

I'd like to reply to the rest of your post, but this open source news server won't let me reply to so much material. My Mac Newsreader is hapy to compose the post, but INN rejects it. I guess that's a case where Open Source forces the user to do something they don't want?

[massive snip]

See, I knew you realy weren't open to a discussion about the Android. You're just an Apple hating Android fanboi, as you declared earlier.

Reply to
Steve Firth

To butt in here with an aside: as you seem to have looked at this can you recommend an alternative MP3 player that docks with the same connector as an iPod? Just saying this cos I was conned into buying a piece of ipod-like junk at christmas and now have nice speakers but nothing to dock on them in my reluctance to be 'proprietarily locked down'. Burnt once I have been reluctant to guess again.

Spamlet