Realistic PDA/smartphone choices?

I've read more level headed and rational discussions of mobile devices on this forum than in many of the dedicated ones. At present I'm trying to help my daughter make some decisions about the best way for her to communicate with us here while she's away in Canada. To this end, I've been researching some of the current 'Smart' devices available, with an emphasis on initial cost and economy of regular use.

I get the impression that while iPhones, iPads, HTC Desire/Evo etc. have a lot of interesting and sometimes half-baked features, much of the functionality is skewed to pander to an enthusiastic 'fan' group and simultaneously extract as much in the way of service charges as possible from this clientele and any others who can be drawn into their user-base.

Is this emphasis on glossy profit making features universal, or are there some devices, maybe such as the Blackberry for instance, where businesslike functionality is a reliable priority?

As a for instance, I recently bought a HTC Hero phone and while this was a lot more expensive than our usual type of phone, bought from Tesco's for under a hundred quid, this new phone can't be used to send or receive MMS picture messages (it's a widely discussed problem). All the cheap phones we've previously owned have no trouble doing this by default when using a PAYG SIM.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

The Hero should be getting the Android 2.1 upgrade in the next week or so, I don't send [m]any MMS messages, preferring email, but I have received them on my Nexus1, so the upgrade should give you MMS functionality (unless it's an HTC/SenseUI issue).

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks, I did see on the XDA-developer's site that a 2.1 upgrade was coming but the clamour on that site over this and other aspects of the phones functionality is a bit off putting in it's stridency.

I bought the Hero to check out it's capabilities, with a view to handing it over to my daughter when it was set-up to cover her foreseeable requirements. She's keen on MMS messaging and thinks I've blown it big-time getting a phone which won't currently do this. Maybe the 2.1 upgrade will be the answer. That would be a big plus.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I've never been a fan of iPhones (I'll go Apple bashing any day) and until recently, had the Nokia N95 8GB. However, due to the HTC Legend (and Desire) coming with inbuilt FM tuners, coupled with a targetted 10% off voucher for ebay, and some freak alignment of the planets, I finally decided to buy the HTC Legend outright. Anyway, I love the Legend, but it's only on Vodafone in the UK (I'm on 3), so I might as well say that the missus decided to go with the HTC Desire instead, and is paying £22 per month over 24 months for unlimited data (fair usage applies), and a decent calls/texts package.

Neither of us has used our data quota yet, despite quite heavy usage of the phones. I can honestly say that the applications available are as much or as little quirky as you want them to be. To be honest, I am stunned at the amount of free, decent software out there. Julie now sits in the living room browsing forums etc on the Desire, rather than firing up the laptop. The phone operating system itself is smooth and responsive (on both Legend and Desire), and can be clean looking, or cluttered with as many bells and whistles as you want.

Most people I speak to say that they prefer the Desire, because it is bigger and more powerful. I take their point, but I liked the slightly smaller Legend. But a week ago, I was looking round some churches, and managed to drop the Legend onto a stone church floor, from a height of perhaps 4 feet. The damage was barely noticeable. Not sure how the Desire would have fared, but the solid aluminium case of the Legend coped admirably. I don't propose to perform this test again though, so I have now invested in a jelly case, rather than the sock that I had originally.

Oh, and finally, I have received an MMS on my Legend (Android 2.1). Never tried to send one though, but I presume it works.

I just checked 3's site however, and they now seem to offer the Desire on a minimum £30 per month contract.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

To be honest, at the rate the operators charge for MMS messaging, I'd say that is a far bigger revenue extraction tool than the many applications on smart phones - well, at least for an individual who wants to send pictures. As someone said (I think), attachments to emails are free, as long as you keep an eye on your downloads for the month (and yes, there's an Android app to do that - free!) ;-)

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth

To escape this, consider use of non-PDA phones.

There are loads that can handle MMS, take usable pictures and email - and more importantly make reliable phone calls, have a useable battery life, small case, not a magnet to thieves etc...

I got quite a lot out of my Sony-Erricsion K750i.

Reliable and cheap as chips now.

Reply to
Adrian C

I had a little play with a Blackberry yesterday. The screen is really too small for web browsing, but I think sites optimised for small screens might be usable. Keyboard is too small for finger typing but too wide for holding in one hand and thumb typing.

Does it have to be phone based? A netbook using wifi, or a dongle, might be rather more useful, though obviously not as easy to carry round and just start talking/texting like a phone.

How long will daughter be in Canada, will she have Ethernet/wifi access where she stays, and does she need to do other things eg web browsing, email, viewing/editing documents, backing up digital camera photos etc?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Mike Halmarack wibbled on Saturday 19 June 2010 11:57

And iPhone allows a VoIP client - SWMBO just tried on (FooCall) to call China on the cheap over our local WIFI (probably won't work over 3G).

All in, the iPhone seemed to have better Apps compared with Android - especially all those little shopping and lifestyle Apps like Waitrose, Argos, RBS banking and stuff. Loads of other useful apps like rail running info/timetables etc - but it's pretty likely that class is also available on Android.

It's a user advantage (I find) to have one single repository of installable apps.

However, it does stifle the ability to knock up your own apps or use something Apple doesn't approve of. Though I program computers, a phone i one bit of computer equipment I relegate to "tool" status and just want it to work.

O2 have a major discount on recon 3G iPhones ("free" with 25/month for 2 years for 100 mins/month and data) - but that's no good for her as she's going to Canada.

One option would be to see what the carrier/iPhone offerings are like over there and maybe buy it there.

If that's not going to be any good, I'd default to Android next and maybe look at the HTCs. I'd never touch another Nokia but I would consider a Motorola again - and some of those are open platform.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You're on thin ice talking about what iPhone "allows" compared to Android ;-)

There is SIPdroid on Android, I use it to talk to our Asterisk server, it works fine over WiFi, I've tested it on 3G too, it does require a decent 3G signal and breaks O2's T&C.

I don't go a bundle on having apps that just duplicate content that's available on a website anyway.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I agree with you there. I'd go for email in preference to MMS every time. My daughter isn't so keen though as it excludes access to her friends without email on their phones.

There's also the matter of her being determined to stick with a PAYG SIM as perhaps absent mindedly tripping into mobile data international roaming charges and the subsequent bills are quite a deterrent to her.

As for MMS service charges I'm still working on the basis that this service is available via both mobile data and WiFi, with WiFi being the preferential mode in terms of cost. Currently I can't get the phone to do either, so it's all theoretical just now.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

I'm mulling over whether to step up to the HTC Desire or even the Evo

4G (maybe more appropriate for Canada). It would be reassuring to know that the MMS problems would be overcome as a result.

You make it sound most attractive. I'm more than happy to go along with the idea of PAYG though, to avoid unforseen extra charges. My own main motivation for getting into considering this kind of device was in the expectation that it could be easily used with Skype. This is not a particularly clear area for plain sailing either. Something about a clash of interests between the phone makers and the service provider I read recently.

This Hero is jelly cased and lanyarded now, after I dropped it on the rug beneath my workstation, just as I was advising my daughter not to be clumsy with it.:)

Many of the contracts on offer may be good value. I don't have much experience of them personally. For my own use I have an very old Nokia which just does phone and text. I pay about a 3.5 GBP a month to keep its 02 PAYG SIM card functioning steadily.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

My wife has one and they're fine. As you point out MMS works perfectly on these, as it does on my daughter's old phone. It's just the more expensive smart phone we've chosen that seems to be having trouble with MMS.

I hope to get the K750i as a hand me down before too many more years pass by. It's not just that I'm stingy. I really do believe in being no higher tech than absolutely necessary.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Not a perfect solution then.

That would be my personal choice were I going off on my travels, if only for the relative quality and reliability of the software.

A year is the current estimate. She may have even less reason to rush back to the UK by that time. Not that I necessarily believe all the media hype about where we're heading economically.

I'm counting on her regular access to WiFi for many of the reasons you mention. This was initially envisioned to be mainly for Skype purposes though. If I wasn't currently trying to overcome the MMS quirks I'd have moved on to the Skype conundrums by now.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

There is a lot to be said for the iPhone and you say it very well. There is definitely a cost associated with a reluctance to go with the main herd and I'm beginning to realise what that cost is.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Is that "talk to" as in "speak with"? If so, I must look into that possibility.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

It uses standard SIP/RTP protocols (I won't touch skype) I use it with Asterisk as our inbound calls already arrive there so it saves paying for diverts to mobiles if the mobile can receive it directly as VoIP.

But you don't need to run your own VoIP server, any off-the-shelf SIP provider will be fine (it comes preconfigured for PBXes.com)

Reply to
Andy Burns

OK, thanks, it looks like I've got some reading to do.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

Andy Burns wibbled on Saturday 19 June 2010 14:16

The choice of the word "allow" was quite careful - I know what Apple are like! ;-O

Everything breaks O2's T&Cs - it's more relevant whether they have a technological way to catch you.

I do. Unless the site has an optimised subsite for mobiles, it's impossible navigating a shopping site at 300-400 odd pixels, especially on GPRS. Whereas an app makes it reasonably pleasant. Nothing wrong with Safari, but if the site is written for 800+ pixels and full of graphics it becomes very tedious.

RS have a mobile optimised site, but it's the only one I've come across yet.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Since you mentioned train timetables, Network Rail's site seems to be mobile optimised ... agreed that sites which expect 1280x1024 screen can be painful with 480x800 let alone 320x480

Reply to
Andy Burns

Oh, OK - must admit, I'd no idea you could send MMS via WiFi.

JW

Reply to
John Whitworth