Smartphone holder for car suggestions

Yet another smartphone holder has broken. I really liked it, sucker on the windscreen but a long arm and dashboard support but it's gone the way of others. Mainly used for SatNav.
Direct on the screen is too far to reach and clearly see. My nephews have gone for the ones that clip on the vent and hold the phone magnetically. I'm not that keen on that for 3 reasons:
1. My phone is in a case, I'd have to take it out each time 2. I'm unsure about having a strong magnet near all those electronics 3. I'm not keen on having hot air blowing onto the back of the phone
The dashboard (Ford Focus) has no flat surface and a sucker won't stick to it.
So - workable and proven solutions please.
--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?

I have had a lot of success in my Focus with a Brodit Proclip, which is custom designed for each model of car. See https://www.brodit.com/searchList.html?pn=prod&hideQuery=yes&vehicleBrand=Ford&query=PROCLIP&mmDevices=1&mmVehicles=1&vehicleModel=Focus
I used a 654620 for my 2012 Focus. For 2015 or newer, use 655066.
That clip just provides a mounting surface. To attach the phone, I used a Scosche Magic Mount Surface: (Amazon.com product link shortened) which adheres to the Brodit clip.
Then as per the illustration, I attached one of the metal plates to the back of my phone inside the gel case.
It has all been working a treat for about 18 months.
I also found a down-angle USB-C or Micro-USB connector was the tidiest, such as this one: (Amazon.com product link shortened) Or this one: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Cheers Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: snipped-for-privacy@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

Just to follow up, this is mine without the phone:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mpp91j4owr2dkae/2020-02-13%2011.26.42.jpg?dl=0
And again with the phone:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g1qtyfkgfshu04t/2020-02-13%2011.27.17.jpg?dl=0
Hope this helps!
Cheers Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: snipped-for-privacy@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 11:50:09 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@mountifield.org (Tony Mountifield) wrote:

Very interesting thanks. Maybe I should wait till I replace my 2010 Focus!
--
AnthonyL

Why do scientists need to BELIEVE in anything?
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 11:22:11 +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:

I was also very pleased with these. We fitted them to three different models of car. The nice thing is that a new phone or car simply requires that component to be replaced.
The last two cars have Bluetooth and voice activation, so I haven't needed one recently.
On Thursday, 13 February 2020 12:10:49 UTC, Bob Eager wrote:

I too would echo the Brodit suggestion.
At first I thought they seemed expensive but the one I bought for my wife's Fiesta (mounted on the A-pillar) has been nothing short of superb and so consider it money well spent.
Tony Mountifield wrote

I had a brodit for my previous car, I double sided-taped a magnetic wireless charger to it.
the good: you could just "throw" the phone in its general direction, it would grab it and start charging
the bad: the magnets buggered up the compass, not as disastrous as it sounds because the map software uses GPS for its heading rather than the compass whenever the car is moving (over 5mph?) but when stationary it would think you performed a 180 on the spot!
On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 10:16:04 +0000, AnthonyL wrote:

Personally I've simply repurposed an old phone as satnav/audio device (which needs mounting). No case, and the magnetic-air vent holder is fine.
Since I've decided never to actually make/take calls on the move, my real phone can stay in my pocket.
YMMV.
On 13/02/2020 10:16, AnthonyL wrote:

I have:
A bean bag dash thingy: (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Does not slip off, ever, IME. I have a fairly flat dash, but cornering and braking fail to dislodge it.
Then: https://www.mobilefun.co.uk/scosche-magic-mount-universal-car-holder-system-black-46034
and I stick the steel disc into a spare cheap clip on phone case, so I don't need to worry about the disc messing with my phone's NFC for Google Pay etc.
Magnets near phones is not real problem (if you aren't relying on the compass, obviously) and it's too far from the car's wiring to matter.
I've found it one of the better setups, especially as I can chuck the whole lot in the glove box when not in use - and in theory, it's easy to let anyone clip there phone on the same base.

Something like that is what's used for the satnav bit of driving tests, where they need to put the approved satnav in a different car every hour. Seems to work for them, and evidently emergency-stop-proof!
(Amazon.com product link shortened)
Theo
NO need to worry about magnetism really, but the other worries are valid. You need something easy to release, since you do not want to leave it in the car or in the sun.
Could you not get a case and modify it so it has a slide on mount at the back or something like that?
Brian
--
----- --
Brian Gaff wrote:

Not in terms of damaging the electronics, but see my post about it affecting phones with a magnetometer/compass ...
On 15/02/2020 09:09, Andy Burns wrote:

using a mag compass in a vehicle is almost impossible anywaay
--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."
On 13/02/2020 10:16, AnthonyL wrote:

I'm happy with my phone carrier clipped in the dash vents. Would never blow hot air out of these, only on to screen or feet! I have an eBay cheapie of the type where the two side clips move inwards as the weight of the phone is taken on the bottom support. Secure, quick and easy to insert or remove phone, will fit most phones.