O.T. Security camera for use outside that does NOT require a smartphone

I am looking for a wireless or wired camera that does NOT require a smart phone and that can broadcast it's signal to a desktop computer.

I thought of using a desk cam, but would need a very long cable for use outdoors. (I could make the camera water-proof)

What do you think?

Andy

Reply to
AK

I assumed most were like that. IIRC wifi cameras existed before smartphones were very popular, and i've certainly seen ads for wireless cameras that didn't bring up smartphones. Perhaps now times have changed and most require smartphones, but I think it much more likely that they push the fanciest ones that do, and comparitively ignore moderate and low priced ones that don't

Monoprice and others I'm sure sell amplified USB cables that can be 40' long or longer, and maybe can be put end to end. I bought one for emergencies but haven't used it yet. But wireless seems like a lot less effort, except for the power supply. But even that can be local. I don't know what people do for cameras. I don't have any and I don't want any.

BTW a camera whose picture you can watch on your smart phone, when you're at work or at a restaurant or on vacation seems like a really bad idea. When I'm at those places, I don't think about home. The last thing I need is to be wanting to check my phone to see if someone is breaking in.

In fact, when I was abroad this spring, I talked to a a neighbor about his son mowing my lawn, and he told me a neighbor heard the radio inside my house but hadn't seen me for weeks. So she called the police, who kicked down my front door. What could I do about this while I was abroad -- the same neighbor said the door was shut -- so I ignored it for a month and everything except the broken door was fine when I got home.

(Two of the three hinges were separated from the door frame and it was an effort to hold it in place by myself while I reattached the door, but it didn't take long.)

Reply to
micky

You don't say if you want outdoor or indoor.

Here is outdoor, `150 for 3 cameras for example, *2-year battery included*!!! and while it refers to things you can do with a smartphone, I'm sure those are optional, but if you want, you can ask a question at the webpage and some other user will tell you. Plainly, it's going to be easier to point the camera if you can see on your phone what it's point at. someday you may have a smartphone so for that reason, I wouldn't let this capability be a reson to reject it.

Indoor ones are cheaper, as little as 30 for 2. Not wireless. No battery needed, but wiring is.
This are sale prices abd amazon prices go up and down a lot.

Reply to
micky

You could borrow a smartphone, or borrow a friend with a smartphone, either one, for setup. A lot better than running inside every time you move it to see what it points to now.

Reply to
micky

Security Camera Outdoor, 1080P HD Wireless Rechargeable Battery Powered WiFi Home Surveillance Camera with Waterproof, Night Vision, Motion Detection, 2-Way Audio and SD Storage

Brand: ZEEPORTE SECURITY

40 bucks amazon. I can watch deliveries from this tablet I am typing on. I can talk through it too. It is on my phone too but it was an option. My actual cam us no longer available but this looks identical.
Reply to
Thomas

You first option is more than I want to pay.

Option 2 looks like it needs a cell phone?

Andy

Reply to
AK

Thanks a lot.

I did a search using the info you supplied.

I found this.

But it looks like it needs a smart phone.

I have a Microsoft Webcam HD 500 and it has a usb connector.

I am thinking I might be able to get a cable extension that is at least 23 feet.

Not sure if there will be a signal loss too great for that distance.

There may be signal boosters?

Andy

Reply to
AK

I doubt signal loss would be a problem. I have a 100 ft extension on an ethernet cable with no loss.

If all you want is real time viewing, unless you can record, sounds like a good way to go.

Reply to
Frank

Ethernet is not USB. Apples vs. Oranges.

Ethernet is designed for 100 meters.

"USB 3.0 and USB 3.1 connection types have the same rating, and it's a bit of an oddball. In theory, there's no actual 'maximum.' However, if you go beyond 3 meters (about 10 feet), your signal will start to degrade. The longer you extend the cable, the lower the speed and the less power it will provide. This gives you a little bit of wiggle room if all you're doing is sending a signal. For example, if you need to send a security camera feed, a 20-foot run is probably doable, assuming minimal interference. On the other hand, if that feed is a 4K camera with two-way audio, you might have an issue. And if that camera requires the USB cable for power, you're definitely going to have trouble."

Reply to
Scott Lurndal