Opening Cabinet of GE Washer WHRE5550K1WW

Anyone know how to get the front door off of this cabinet? Looks like = you just pop it open from the top and lean it out, but before I break = something, I thought I'd ask. The GE tech support folks can't tell me = anything except to point at this diagram. Thanks in advance. -- Bob

373 - Locking clip 383 - Alignment pin

Below is a list of all the parts on the diagram sorted by part number:

Description Diagram Ref. # Part # Price=20 KIT - FUSE HARNESS 20 WH49X10055 $14.00=20

BUMPER LID 198 WH1X2722 $2.75=20

FUNNEL BLEACH 200 WH01X10057 $4.00=20

BUSHING HINGE (SINGLE) 204 WH1X2741 $3.00=20

BUSHING HINGE-FRONT OPEN 205 WH01X10025 $7.50=20

WIREFORM HINGE 206 WH1X2740 $4.50=20

WIREFORM HINGE 207 WH1X2743 $6.00=20

BUMPER HINGE 208 WH1X2742 $1.50=20

SCREW 209 WH2X1211 $1.75=20

MAGNET ASM 215 WH12X10276 $6.50=20

SCR 8-16 B FLP .625 ZN 216 WH02X10217 $1.25=20

WIRE TIE 218 WH01X10217 $1.00=20

CHRISTMAS TREE WIRE CLIP 362 WH02X10263 $1.25=20

PLUG PINETREE 363 WH02X10258 $1.25=20

BRACKET APRON LEFT 364 WH16X10101 $14.75=20

BRACKET APRON RIGHT 365 WH16X10102 $14.75=20

BRACKET APRON FRONT 366 WH16X10117 $29.75=20

SCR 8-18 AB IHW 7/16 SN 369 WH2X1217 $1.75=20

STRAP DAMPING 370 WH1X2727 $6.00=20

RETAINER STRAP 371 WH1X2726 $4.75=20

CLIP LOCKING 373 WH02X10279 $1.25=20

PANEL & BRACE ASM WH 375 WH46X10109 $123.00=20

SHIPPING BAR ASM 377 WH46X344 $17.00=20

BUTTON PLUG 378 WH1X2745 $1.25=20

CLIP GROUND 380 WH2X1207 $1.50=20

STUD GROUNDING 381 WH2X1190 $1.75=20

PIN ALIGNMENT 383 WH2X1189 $1.50=20

SCR 6-20 B TRT 3/8 S 384 WH01X10423 $0.75=20

SCR 8-15 A 3/4 SP HXW 384 WH01X10109 $1.50=20

COVER CLIP 385 WH01X10422 $2.00=20

BAR SELF LEVELING 386 WH46X10094 $31.75=20

CONDUIT 387 WH41X10161 $3.25=20

LID SWITCH ASM 388 WH12X10334 $24.75=20

COVER ASM FINISHED WH 391 WH44X10027 $154.25=20

LID ASM FINISHED WH 394 WH44X10209 $71.25=20

SCR 10-12 A HX 1/2 S 417 WH2X694D $4.75=20

SCR 8-18 B IHW 1 S 418 WH02X10282 $0.75=20

BASE ASM 421 WH46X10145 $200.75=20

LEG LEVELING 431 WH2X1187 $8.25=20

PIN ROLL 432 WH2X1188 $1.75=20

SCREW 8-32X3/8 GRD SCR 461 WZ5X158D $12.75=20

HOUSING TERMINAL 559 WH12X538 $15.00=20

CLIP ANTI-SIPHON 820 WH1X2725 $2.75=20

HOSE DRAIN EXTERNAL 825 WH41X10096 $16.00=20

RETAINER HOSE 834 WH16X513 $2.00=20

STRAP 835 WH1X2594 $4.75=20

SCR 8-18 AB IHWP 7/8 S 836 WH02X10002 $1.75

Reply to
Guv Bob

Generally you need to slide a thin piece in to lift the clip on every GE I've ever had (altho I've not pulled the new one apart yet--and it had better be quite a long time before I have to).

You should be able w/ a light to see the fastener itself enough to tell which way it springs and whether it's lifting w/ some pressure or has to be sprung out of the way first.

--

Reply to
dpb

On 7/12/2012 1:25 PM, dpb wrote: ...

OBTW, if (as I presume) the top overlays the front, I strongly suspect the disassembly order is that top snaps free w/ those spring clips at the front, it lays up/back and then the front has a few screws from the inside that hold it in place---I'd guess that would be several of No 383 on the diagram but you didn't put the corresponding numbers on the list and I didn't go try to find it...

--

Reply to
dpb

The GEs have and every one I've had previously all look the same from the case construction and are that way going back 40+ years. The brand new washer/dryer look identical from the outside case construction altho I've not had them apart I doubt there's anything different except probably only one screw/side instead of two or similar...

I suspect virtually all makes are very similar although all I've ever actually worked on were GE (or the equivalent Hotpoint that were the alternate branded GE-made).

--

Reply to
dpb

In most of these top loaders (not only GE) the front comes off first - it's held by retaining clips at the top. When you get the front off, it will expose two front screws that hold the top, and there are three more screws holding the top on the back. I'm not sure what you're opening it for, but you can do plenty of dama.., I mean, fixing, just through the front, so may not even need to remove the top.

You'll need a small metal putty knife to disengage the clips. There's a Youtube video by Hugh Barlow that shows the very procedure. Let me see if I can post this link directly to the fragment 2 minutes into the video. If my screwing with the Youtube options does not work, just open the video and fast forward to the 2:00 mark, you'll see how he opens your washer.

------------------------------------- /_/ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

OK - On some models like Sears Kenmore, the clips are in the same location, but when you push in on the clips, the top lifts up rather than the front moving forward.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Hey, that was an excellent answer to the OP's question and shows exactly how it's done.

Now, my question is, "How were you able to modify the YouTube options to create a link that goes directly to the 2-minute mark on the video?"

Reply to
TomR

On the Youtube page, under the video, there's that "Share" link. You click on it and a small panel opens up with the address and right below that a small "Options" link with a down facing arrow. You click on that, and yet another small window opens up where you can check the "Start at X:XX" option. When you do, the address of the video in the "Share" field changes automatically. You can just copy it from there and paste in a post.

Looking at the address, all this option does is add ?t=2m1s to the end of the video address which translates to 2:01. Knowing that, I guess you don't even need to mess with Youtube options, just add a properly formed t=XmYs to the end of the address and the right moment in the video should open up.

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

On 7/12/2012 3:17 PM, DA wrote: ...

Hmmm...any idea when that change occurred? I've had nothing but GE since the 60s and that's the first time I've seen one that the top didn't lift up w/ the snappy clips and then the front came off w/ screws from the inside....dryers as well.

I suppose the new one we just got(+) will be that way (new way, that is) but I'm hoping its long enough I'll have forgotten this long before then... :)

(+) Of course, by model on the one it replaced, it was a mid-80s, so they could have changed quite a while ago and I'd not know about it... I've never been known for updating until it virtually was mandatory. :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Very cool. Thanks.

Reply to
TomR

I believe they've changed the drum, suspension and cabinet design roughly around the same time in mid-90s. Was Profile 2000 the first to get the new cabinet? I'm not too sure, but it's been like that for more than a decade for certain. It's not a bad cabinet design - you can do quite a few things in there by taking just the front off.

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

=20

Thanks a million, DA! That video from Hugh takes all the guess work = out.

I'll tackle this now and post what I have fixed and/or messed up. LOL!!

Full URL just in case...

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

Sketch showing how to spring the latches and remove the front cabinet = panel.

Photo showing where latch is. Two places on top. None on sides.
Inside of door
Lower right side. Hose between pump and outlet on back is restricted = near the right side. Looks like it is made that way. This could be the = reason the pump runs for 5 sections, then shut off for 5 section, over = and over when draining. That could be the design, but normally you = would put restrictions on the inlet if that is the reason for the = design. Will call GE in the morning.
Motor and bottom of tub

=20

Thanks a million, DA! That video from Hugh takes all the guess work = out.

I'll tackle this now and post what I have fixed and/or messed up. LOL!!

Full URL just in case...

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

FYI, I ran 3 cycles with tablet of Affresh in each and it got rid of the = sour smell. i wanted to be sure there was no problem elsewhere first. = Hopefully that's the end of this project for awhile.

=20

Thanks a million, DA! That video from Hugh takes all the guess work = out.

I'll tackle this now and post what I have fixed and/or messed up. LOL!!

Full URL just in case...

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

Ran several loads by now and smell is coming back. Any ideas fellers?

=20

Thanks a million, DA! That video from Hugh takes all the guess work = out.

I'll tackle this now and post what I have fixed and/or messed up. LOL!!

Full URL just in case...

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

When your washer is not in use, is the lid open or closed ? Most washers get stinky if kept closed when not in use.

Try running a couple of rinse cycles and no clothes with some bleach. Use the small load setting with a half-cup of bleach.

Reply to
Atila Iskander

Thanks, will give it a try. We always leave the lid open - we're in a = very dry climate and any water evaporates quickly.

By the way, there's no smell inside the cabinet, around the outside of = washer or around the drain. It's coming from inside. If this doesn't = cure it, I'll take the hoses to the pump loose and root around in there.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Thanks, will give it a try. We always leave the lid open - we're in a very dry climate and any water evaporates quickly.

By the way, there's no smell inside the cabinet, around the outside of washer or around the drain. It's coming from inside. If this doesn't cure it, I'll take the hoses to the pump loose and root around in there.

{{

Haven't looked up the model but I do know that some of the high effect models will produce those problems if there is too much soap used. (too much is a very little amount).

Somewhere around here I have a white paper that addresses both the direct cause of the problem and a fix. If I can find it I'll post a link.

Reply to
NotMe

a very dry climate and any water evaporates quickly.

of washer or around the drain. It's coming from inside. If this = doesn't cure it, I'll take the hoses to the pump loose and root around = in there.

Thanks Oren. I'll give it a try.

Reply to
Guv Bob

Continuing my original posting.... running cleaning solution through the washer fixed the original problem, but has to be repeated every couple of months when the the sour smell comes back.

I have to say... this washer is really bad. Here are some good videos about repairing this exact model. Thanks Hugh for posting these!!!

First video is also here:

Water, drain and soap are all fine - the problem is definitely the washer. I have carefully followed the mfr's instructions and gone through everything with more than one GE customer service person on the phone. They won't send out a service tech to check it without me paying a service call.

Other problems with this unit:

  1. It never fills up enough to get the top of the clothes wet.

  1. I spins so fast that it creates permanent wrinkles in some clothes.

  2. There is no lint filter which periodically leads to plugging the drain or stays in the clothes and then loading up the link filter, which means longer drying time.

373 - Locking clip 383 - Alignment pin

Below is a list of all the parts on the diagram sorted by part number:

Description Diagram Ref. # Part # Price KIT - FUSE HARNESS 20 WH49X10055 $14.00

BUMPER LID 198 WH1X2722 $2.75

FUNNEL BLEACH 200 WH01X10057 $4.00

BUSHING HINGE (SINGLE) 204 WH1X2741 $3.00

BUSHING HINGE-FRONT OPEN 205 WH01X10025 $7.50

WIREFORM HINGE 206 WH1X2740 $4.50

WIREFORM HINGE 207 WH1X2743 $6.00

BUMPER HINGE 208 WH1X2742 $1.50

SCREW 209 WH2X1211 $1.75

MAGNET ASM 215 WH12X10276 $6.50

SCR 8-16 B FLP .625 ZN 216 WH02X10217 $1.25

WIRE TIE 218 WH01X10217 $1.00

CHRISTMAS TREE WIRE CLIP 362 WH02X10263 $1.25

PLUG PINETREE 363 WH02X10258 $1.25

BRACKET APRON LEFT 364 WH16X10101 $14.75

BRACKET APRON RIGHT 365 WH16X10102 $14.75

BRACKET APRON FRONT 366 WH16X10117 $29.75

SCR 8-18 AB IHW 7/16 SN 369 WH2X1217 $1.75

STRAP DAMPING 370 WH1X2727 $6.00

RETAINER STRAP 371 WH1X2726 $4.75

CLIP LOCKING 373 WH02X10279 $1.25

PANEL & BRACE ASM WH 375 WH46X10109 $123.00

SHIPPING BAR ASM 377 WH46X344 $17.00

BUTTON PLUG 378 WH1X2745 $1.25

CLIP GROUND 380 WH2X1207 $1.50

STUD GROUNDING 381 WH2X1190 $1.75

PIN ALIGNMENT 383 WH2X1189 $1.50

SCR 6-20 B TRT 3/8 S 384 WH01X10423 $0.75

SCR 8-15 A 3/4 SP HXW 384 WH01X10109 $1.50

COVER CLIP 385 WH01X10422 $2.00

BAR SELF LEVELING 386 WH46X10094 $31.75

CONDUIT 387 WH41X10161 $3.25

LID SWITCH ASM 388 WH12X10334 $24.75

COVER ASM FINISHED WH 391 WH44X10027 $154.25

LID ASM FINISHED WH 394 WH44X10209 $71.25

SCR 10-12 A HX 1/2 S 417 WH2X694D $4.75

SCR 8-18 B IHW 1 S 418 WH02X10282 $0.75

BASE ASM 421 WH46X10145 $200.75

LEG LEVELING 431 WH2X1187 $8.25

PIN ROLL 432 WH2X1188 $1.75

SCREW 8-32X3/8 GRD SCR 461 WZ5X158D $12.75

HOUSING TERMINAL 559 WH12X538 $15.00

CLIP ANTI-SIPHON 820 WH1X2725 $2.75

HOSE DRAIN EXTERNAL 825 WH41X10096 $16.00

RETAINER HOSE 834 WH16X513 $2.00

STRAP 835 WH1X2594 $4.75