Lint Filter GE Washer GE WHRE5550K1WW

Can anyone suggest how to filter washer drainage to prevent lint from plugging in the pipe? This is happening about once a year.

"None of the new machines have filters. The pump grinds up all the lint and flushes it down the drain" - I still remember the salesman's exact words.

The previous machine pumped the water back into a filter in the middle of the tub and never had any drainage problems. This one doesn't return to a central place, so it's impossible to rig up a filter in the tub.

Also only one place to drain - standpipe in the wall. No sink nearby.

Thanks.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Our washer has a crude filter at the bottom of the unit (virtually impossible to clean without draining water onto the floor). But, it only is designed to catch "big stuff".

The cheap way is with old pair of pantyhose around the drain pipe. But, this turns into a maintenance issue as they don't hold up very long. OTOH, women frequently have a pair they are ready to dispose of...

Instead, consider the *source* of the lint.

Reply to
Don Y

A net bag (like from bagged oranges) fastened to the end of the hose will catch most of the lint. I use two of those bags, one inside the other. You can fasten them to the hose with a hose clamp.

Reply to
Ameri-Clean

There are filter bags of a mesh that go on the end of the hose, but they would have to slip down the standpipe and may clog fast that way. I never saw an in-line filter but they may exist. Others would go into a wash tub.

How far down is the clog? I wonder if you put a drain cleaner every three months if it would keep it clear? I have no idea how much lint you actually get. My washer has gone into a standpipe for the past 34 years. Never had a clog.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

from plugging in the pipe? This is happening about once a year.

lint and flushes it down the drain" - I still remember the salesman's exact words.

middle of the tub and never had any drainage problems. This one doesn't return to a central place, so it's impossible to rig up a filter in the tub.

I don't even know yet if there's one clog or just solids building up. Last time it was a combination of lint at the bottom standpipe elbow and general deposits in the pipe. A large part of the problem is the washer pump pushing the water out faster than the pipe was designed for.

After I flush out the drain, I'll fasten the washer outlet hose to the standpipe connector tight so it can't back out. I don't see any problem with doing that except that the back pressure could damage the pump -- which is fine with me. This is a low-water type machine and has never gotten the clothes clean. Also, it spins extremely fast - fast enough to put permanent creases in clothes, and at the same time leaves them wet. A real first class POS.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney posted for all of us...

There are filters sold made of stainless or nylon that resemble a large version of a heart stent. I have found the lint pushed out by the machine may indicate a problem with the machine. The washer is not really supposed to beat the clothes like rocks, but to push and pull the water through the fabric.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Nylon stocking over the end of the discharge hose has worked for some. Replace nylon stocking as needed.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

you will have to look to the chinese for a solution. GE APPLIANCES were all sold friday to a chinese company. we can now look to falling quality in ge appliances:(

Reply to
bob haller

Chinese qualityre IS suerpeir to anu rn the srorsd, as dremosentrated by how comrerner erksy boarke ds acruernately tyerpe whateever I warnet, wtihn no msiteakes. Chiren%se com^prern$ senrerkd ifnorelmateerioin toratrrlly acusrrureately.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Does this mean Harbor Fright will be selling appliances now?

Reply to
Chuck Waggon

25% off, with free flash light.

. .

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

GE was never top of the line anyway. Ir may actually get better now.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

bob haller posted for all of us...

What Chinese co.?

Reply to
Tekkie®

were all sold friday to a chinese company. we can now look to falling quality in ge appliances:(

PRC dba Haier

-5-4-billion-1452845661

Based in China's northeastern coastal city of Qingdao, Haier is one of China's legacy state-owned enterprises. Haier's chief executive, Zhang Ruimin .... was the first businessman appointed to China's Central Committee, one of the Communist Party's highest decision-making bodies.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney