Shop color choices ..

Anybody got ideas/recommendations about preferable color schemes for a shop ?? What I was wondering is : since I will be using primarily fluorescent lighting, would it be wise to offset the blue-white color by painting ceilings and/or upper walls some light shades of yellow or tan to "warm" them up a bit ??

Reply to
Anonymous

White. All white. You want it as bright as possible.

Doug Miller

Gloss or semi-gloss white. There are no other choices! Greg

Reply to
Greg O

what ever floats your boat, Bobby! YOU are the one that will be living with it. What if you got 10 responses that said to paint it pink? Would you take those suggestions to heart?

For once I agree with the Fountain of Knowledge; paint it white (sorry, Mick)

dave

wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

In article , Bay Area Dave wrote: gestions to heart?

Gee, Davie, maybe we should get a room?

Reply to
Doug Miller

I use only white paint, but I'm sure Martha Stewart would not approve.

Reply to
Phisherman

Sorry Dave .. .. I was just asking for input .. .. not a mandate !! !! !!

Actually, my first > what ever floats your boat, Bobby! YOU are the one that will be living

Reply to
Anonymous

I wouldn't want to come between you and the Plan Man.

dave

Doug Miller wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Eggshell or satin reflect just as much light with less glare and are still washable.

But I agree on the white or at least darn close to it.

And he would be better off to get wide spectrum bulbs instead of trying to get warm light out of cool bulbs by changing paint color. If the bulbs are making most of their light in the cool part of the spectrum, eliminating whiteness in favor of a warm color will make things a lot less bright.

Reply to
Rico

2 coats of white primer, 2 coats of pure white gloss or semi gloss. You want it bright to reduce shadows. A hard surface makes it easier to clean.

All whites are not created equal, some whites have a tint.

Trying to 'offset' the color of the lighting with paint is fruitless, it will just get you a more incorrect color. Your minds eye will do all the color correction you need.

If your trying to make it a more pleasant place to work, leave that to your tools.

Reply to
Mark

Mark wandered in from the void and babbled something like:

Paint them yellow. And don't forget the pukey ducks.

Reply to
Greg G.

Bob, I'm just funning with you, man. I was being good-naturedly facetious. Did you not notice that I said go with white?

dave

wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave
[...]

Not nearly daylight bright, it just seems that way compared to the 'corpse candles' usually found.

3 lamps with 100W are less bright than one with 300W, because the efficiency of a halogen lamp increases with power.
Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Use white, but in view of the many suggestions of glossy be careful of what kind of paint you apply to you walls. In my workshop (actually a cellar) someone with a warped sense of esthetics painted the wall with green glossy impermeable paint. Now the moisture that wanted to come out of the wall pushed the paint with the plaster below it off the stones...

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Now, I disagree with the gloss over semi-gloss bit. I prefer semi-gloss because it lessens glare...and if you're shooting photos, the gloss glares something awful, laying highlights where you don't need or want them. Someone else recommended flat: too hard to clean. Gloss or semi, just brush it off.

Charlie Self

Charlie Self

If you add some floor lights, your shop will look like a set from "2001, A Space Odyssey".

Maybe if you try to make an unsafe table saw cut, your saw will say: "I'm sorry, JOAT. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

Hey, George, he *is* from the Bay Area, ya know...

Doug Miller

I should be the last person to talk about colors, but I painted my basement shop white and added a stripe (blue was my choice) to break it up and add interest. I still would like to eventually do something to the low ceiling. I can't decide how or what!

Reply to
ToolMiser