OTish Battery like on smartphone?

Said smartphone is a Samsung Galaxy Ace2.

Previously if I eft home with it 100% charged it would last all day, maybe dropping to 40% charged by the time I got home.

For the past week its been dropping to 30% or less by around 3pm.

Something is clearly running in the background & using up battery power, any idea what?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Restart the phone to clear the decks. Disable non-essential apps from automatically syncing in the background. Turn wifi and GPS off, except when you actually need them.

Reply to
nemo

Settings / Power / Usage may help (It's on Jellybean, not sure about other Android versions).

Also there are several battery monitoring apps - I use

Reentrant

Yep, my Galaxy SIII mini started to lie about the status of data. No Icon, settings dialog says it's off. But if you tried to turn it on you still got no indication. Ignored it for a day then got an unexpected low battery warning and guess what data icon was on and I hadn't even touched the phone...

And turn off data. Even if there is no traffic it still draws power to keep the radio on.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Apparently the facebook app consumes relatively huge amount of power. Google on key words smartphone facebook app battery for many articles on this topic.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Check it hasn't enabled 3G packet data or something.

Also listen out for it rebooting frequently - that hammers the batteries in regions with marginal signal levels. My wifes Samsung phone was particularly bad for this behaviour on the O2 network.

Check the settings and disable as many "features" as you can.

I still much prefer a dumb phone that does *one* thing (being a phone) well and will last for the best part of a week between being recharged.

Reply to
Martin Brown

And delete Facebook.

Reply to
Huge

The settings pages should tell you.

Also, have a look at an app like JuiceDefender. Seems to double the battery life on my S2 (well, for one more day...new phone arrives today!)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Depending on the version of Android, you may not be able to without rooting the phone.

SWMBO has a HTC Wildfire, which is a lower end phone. Can't get rid of Facebook or Youtube, or stop them running. Result is phone hasn't got enough memory for updates, because of the weird way Android seems to have minimum system memory, but acres of data memory.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yuck. I have a Blackberry Z10, and FB is just another application which can easily be deleted.

Reply to
Huge

download avg antivirus and malwarebytes just in case [g]

Reply to
george - dicegeorge

Are you sure its not just the battery getting old? I know a lot of phones do take significant current on gps and some monitoring tasks. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A lot of the UK networks put FB, YouTube, Twitter and other "useful" apps on, so they can't be removed.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

In message , Jethro_uk writes

I wish I could find a simple explanation of why Android works like this. On tablets here, they are always running out of memory in spite of running every memory manager I can find and regularly going in, stopping applications and removing data, and running Malwarebytes. The machine with 512megs is hopeless, yet a few weeks back I replaced an XP machine that was still running useably, if slowly, for an elderly lady on 256megs. Things like the App Store are particularly bad. Why is it using mega memory when I'm not using it? And why have I still got almost all the

8gigs of main memory sitting there empty?
Reply to
Bill

Once its been running for a bit, go to the Battery entry on the main settings menu - that should tell you what has been using the lions share of the juice.

(also keep in mind, that as the batts get older, their capacity drops)

Reply to
John Rumm

What a wonderful idea. And don't leave a copy in the Way Back Machine.

Reply to
polygonum

Assuming the Ace2 works the same as the Ace the required menu is in settings > about phone > battery use. FWIW I keep wifi, BT and GPS off and just about get 3 days out of my Ace with a few voice calls and regular email updates.

Reply to
airsmoothed

I find WiFi is the big killer on mine (Xperia mini pro - teeny 950 mAh battery to match the phone). GPS only seems to suck power when an app is using it, and BT is not too heavy.

Reply to
John Rumm

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014 12:34:53 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: ========================/

I leave GPS off but wifi and data on with power saving and it lasts a working day (13hr) but when it auto updated this reduced to 5 hours, a factory reset and denying updates seems to maintain battery best.

I just wish I could switch off all the built in google and samsung clutter and reload just what I need.

AJH

Reply to
news

Data memory tends to be non-volatile and therefore slow to access. Processor memory is volatile and quick but more expensive and power hungry. So you get lots of storage but not much space to work in.

Reply to
Scott M