Electric mower battery

Got a dumb question.... I have an electric mower that uses two 12V lead = acid batteries wired in series to give 24V. The batteries are marked =

18Ah. Cost is around $100 for one 12v, or $140 for 2 in series, = including shipping.

For the same money or less, I can get two std 12v car batteries and end = up with more amp hours to boot, which would be good for a mower. = Heavier to push around, but that's not a problem.

I don't know nuthin about how amp-hours work - reckon this would be a = good idea? Anyone had experience with this kind of thing before?

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

There are two basic kinds of batteries like that. One is for starting cars and gas lawn mowers. This is for a short usage of high curret. The other is for long rime running such as your mower. While you may be able to use one in the place of the other, it is not recommended dfor long battery life.

The amp hour rating is very simple. It is the ammount of current in amps that you are using multiplied by the number of hours the battery can be expected to deliver that current. If you look at the motor , it will state how many amps it will use. Say it says 3 amps. That means that if you have an 18 amp hour battery you should be able to run it abour 6 hours. If the mower takes 9 amps, then you can use it for 2 hours. While the math is exact, the more amps you use, often the shorter the real usage becomes.

Often the long usage batteries are called marine batteries. That is for running the electric trolling motors. For your usage, ask about them.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Thanks, Ralph. Good info. I kept searching and found some 12V 18Ah = batteries in the $30-40 range, which is more reasonable.

(Website is off line right now.)

Reply to
Guv Bob

xasbJjXQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...

batteries in the $30-40 range, which is more reasonable.

ide quoted text -

As Ralph said, most important is that you get the right kind of battery. I'd put them in 3 categories:

1 - Starting batteries, this is the typical auto battery. They are designed to give high current, but not intended to be discharged much or often. If you fully discharge it regularly and especially if you leave it sitting around discharged, it will cut it;s life very short. 2 - Deep cycle batteries, this is what you have. They are designed to give reasonable current and to be repeatedly charged and discharged. 3 - Mixed use batteries that combine the features of 1 and 2, but aren't as good at either.

I'd be careful with the marine battery designation. There are marine batteries of all 3 types. The main difference marine brings into the equation is that they are built to withstand getting bounced around more than say an auto battery. marine trolling batteries would be deep cycle, while marine starting would not.

I'd also wonder how two car batteries could fit a mower? Is this a riding mower? As Ralph said before selecting an alternate battery you need to make sure it's deep cycle and get the capacity right. Besides that, I'd determine the basic battery type you have, ie is it lead/acid, gel cel, etc.

Reply to
trader4

messagenews:QLqdnUVyxasbJjXQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com...

including

batteries in the $30-40 range, which is more reasonable.

now.)- Hide quoted text -

[...]

Thanks, Trader4. Yeah, these small 12v's are 5-10 pounds each. Two car = batteries would make the mower hard for my wife to push. ;O)

Reply to
Guv Bob

Last update for the folks here...

After that last post I ordered two 12V batteries by mail for about $65 = total, including shipping. Can't remember the company, but they have = sold over 1000 batteries on ebay with 100% positive feedback.

Ordered on a weekend and got them before Friday. I installed them and = charged them up, but saw that they were already fully charged.

As for time between charges, I'm testing that now. On the last charge, = I cut the front and back yards twice so far without recharging, and the = motor is still running full speed. Yard is small - about 5000 sq ft = total.

Thanks folks for all the help and advice.