Reading an open reel tape measure

I bought a cheap open reel surveyors type tape measure, but I'm not sure how to use it.

Top part has a handle grip section, and at the opposite end is a kind of pointer.

Like this:

side of the tape measures in feet and inches and zero is at the tape end. Other side measures in metres and cm but zero is about 32cm from the end of the tape.

How am I supposed to use this tape meaure. In particular, I cannot fathom how to use the metric side of the tape measure. Thanks.

Reply to
Rich

Either there is a reason that metres scale starts 32cm from the tape end or it's a production fault. I just don't know.

Reply to
Rich

Set up the tape so that zero is at the mark from which you want to measure?

Reply to
Ziggur

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Rich" saying something like:

I'd suppose it would be useful if you're measuring from a stick in the ground, to wrap the blank around the stick.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yes, that is what you are expecxted to do.

I've been told that a while ago the industry made these sorts of tapes because the ends become scuffed in use and it was helpful to put zero point further down the tape.

Reply to
Rich

Have you never used a ruler where the scale starts a little way in from the end?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q