Re: Unplugging a pcb plug

Trying to unplug this plug to attempt to rescue a GPS watch that

> has crashed and won't respond to any normal reset manoeuvre. > (Garmin 610). > >The plug below looks like it ought to slide out in the direction > of the wires but I'm not having any luck with the tools I've > tried so far. > >Maybe just needs a bit more oomph but I'd like to know whether I'm > trying to move it the right was before using more > force. > >
> >Tim

I could be wrong, but I would have expected to have to prise it out at

90deg to the wires, ie towards the camera.

Some PCB headers do not unplug at all, but that one looks like it does.

Reply to
Graham.

I'd have to agree but they are horrible. ;-(

+1

I dare say we will find out sooner or later (fingers crossed for Tim+)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Can you remove the individual wires?

Reply to
GB

Oh, and if all you want to do is disconnect the battery, cutting one of the wires might be the simplest option.

Reply to
GB

Your photo isn't very clear, but there's something like a lever at the bottom of the photo, that might hinge up away from the board and allow the plug to be slid off to the right.

Reply to
davewi11

I fixed a Garmin at a Basingstoke repair event today. I can't be sure your connector is the same, but it looks like it could be, and you lift it off at right angles to the circuit board. There was no retaining clip.

I managed to fix the one today. The USB charging connector contact block had broken off the circuit board, but fortunately it was just all the soldered connections which broke, rather than the more common failure where the tracks have been pulled off the circuit board, so it was just a question of resoldering it, and it worked again.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You must have good eyesight and steady hands!

Reply to
GB

I use +2.5 reading glasses as magnifying glasses. (I don't use reading glasses for normal reading.)

Didn't really have quite the right tools with me. My smallest solder iron tip, even though a point, was still wider than two of the contacts and I did manage to bridge them with solder, before getting it off again. Also the only flux pen we had between us looked like it dried out 5 years ago. But the Garman worked afterwards, even so!

Did warn that's it's a weak point in the design and would probably eventually fail again, although I did use leaded solder so it will be stronger than it was (probably rip the PCB tracks off next time;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel