Re: Moving an electricity meter

I found some online references. Its either 2 or 3 meters or you need to do special things and install an extra cutout switch. I think 2 or 3m seems to be what you can do without fusing or having an isolating switch in there.

My guess is you would have a master trip by your meter then, for the whole circuit?

It makes sense as otherwise there is no way to isolate that long bit of internal cable other than pull the company fuse.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Quite right EDF did the survey but they did change their name before I paid The cable was not armoured but looked like it

Van still said EDF mind

Reply to
nimbusjunk

In message , tony sayer writes

Many, many years ago, the electricity board decided to replace my meter. It had probably been there for around 40 years.

No seal was fitted to the new one. The original was simply left cut and dangling, and looking suspiciously like it had been 'got at'. Despite numerous routine meter reader visits, took around five years before they got around to fitting a new seal. Presumably one of the readers noticed it, and reported it.

When this meter was replaced a couple of years ago, a new seal was also fitted.

Reply to
Ian Jackson

A photo of this type of cable is here

pointed out by Andy, note that the "armouring" is in fact copper and not "armouring".

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I note that the neutral is connected to the local earth. Is that a PME system?

Reply to
Ian Jackson

Some time in the 20s my Dad took out a whole street in Pimlico. His parents had left in in the tender care of his older sister while they went to the nearby cinema. He stuck a screwdriver in a brass socket and took out not just the house fuse but the whole street - including the cinema.

Parents came home to find a very startled boy and a rather melted screwdriver.

Reply to
Skipweasel

Yes, it is a PME supply.

a picture of how the same cut out can be used for a TT supply.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

WTF are you smoking???

This is even better than your install linux to fix a hardware problem post.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

Serious implications if you use any equipment with an additional earth system.

Ian Jackson

You have to do extra bits and pieces when the consumer unit is "at a distance" from the supply head:

jgharston

The Natural Philosopher ( snipped-for-privacy@invalid.invalid) wibbled on Friday 18 February

2011 10:52:

EDF charge around 600-900 quid *and* they expect you to dig for them...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Don't talk such such a complete load of old bollocks. Work is carried out live all the time on low voltage cables, less often on lv overheads. Work is also carried out live on high voltage systems by specially trained teams.

An underground cable can quite easily be opened up and cut, and the live cores then jointed on to a new section of cable. Cable jointers go through extensive training and are then authorised as competent to carry out work on live LV systems

Please don't pontificate on subjects that you know absolutely nothing about.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Normal procedure is to just use 16mm T&E alongside a 10mm earth from a 80A fused isolator to the CU and be routed in such a way that RCD protection is not required under the 17th edition rules.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

There is an isolating switch but no fuse/cut-out. Flat conversion in 1984

Reply to
djc

Mine looks just like that. Except that the original installer used black cable for live, and brown for neutral, between the fuse and the meter. Wonder if he was part-P registered? ;-) (probably not in 1973).

Cheers, David.

Reply to
David Robinson

When I started work on television servicing at the beginning of the 60s, all TVs had the chassis connected to one side of the mains. Many also had reversible two pin connectors on the back, so there was usually a 50:50 chance that the chassis was live.

Soldering irons and test equipment were delberately un-earthed. (An earth-free area was acceptable to the Factories' Inspector in those days!)

So we happily went about our job handling these chunks of metal, never knowing if it was live or not but presuming, of course, that it was.

The building was being enlarged with completely new electrics.

A hole had been left in the new shop floor where the feeder ran into the adjacent building. The chap from the Eastern Electricity Board turned up, spread his rubber matter out over the edge of the concrete and spliced our new feed in.

When he left, we looked at each other and said "You wouldn't catch me doing something like that!"

Reply to
Terry Casey

In message , at 09:50:43 on Fri, 18 Feb 2011, Ronald Raygun remarked:

That depends on the cable. If it's an old one (and possibly 3-phase) in a solid sheath, it's not the sort of thing easily played with!

For example, if the thing he wants moving is the green box with black fuse unit (and mounting board) shown here:

the other hand, moving the meter (out of shot on the grey tails) should be much easier, although doing it on a live supply is still going to be a bit hairy.

Reply to
Roland Perry

Then you make sure you don't make a simple slop with a screwdriver

Reply to
geoff

In message , MuddyMike writes

Is he going to give a toss?

Would he even know ?

They are bods doing jobs - paid by Siemens or whoever to read the meters, not to police installations

Reply to
geoff

Good idea, how are you going to do that?

Reply to
Duncan Wood