UK-D-I-Y Wiki

Is there a problem with the site - I keep getting "The connection to the server was reset" when trying to access it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Working OK here, now.

Reply to
John Stumbles

ditto

have you tried a traceroute?

Reply to
Robin

It's working for me, now. Don't know what was wrong earlier!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Hello to everyone I know and greetings to those who might remember me

- they're not necessarily the same people.

Two or perhaps more years ago my isp died (it was taken over first, long story apparently) and I was without one until I landed with Zen.

Zen doesn't do newsgroups unless I pay extra and I couldn't bear going through Google but tonight I did, just to see if the group was still alive. I'm glad it is.

Of course, being a poor simple old biddy, I don't know how to start a new thread which is why I'm (probably) wasting my time on this - but it stops me having to listen to Any Questions.

I did read some old posts, the occasional one related to me and one said that I couldn't have had prostate cancer. Well, I haven't but I've suffered from it because Spouse had a radical retro pubic prostatectomy some time ago. The years before weren't pleasant, the years since have been - er - interesting.

Oh, despite a member suggesting that I've had everything known to Man, it's not true, I only have dramatic conditions. Nobody brings champagne and chocolates when you have a cold so I never bother with that sort of thing.

If anyone can suggest how I can get back to supporting the ng I'd be very pleased. I'm still an internet junkie. Of course it might be that anyone who thought about telling me would be threatened by the rest of you with being hanged, drawn and quartered so nobody will come forward. Heigh ho, such is life.

If this gets to you I wish everyone well - I think of (most of) you very fondly. The old noddle box hasn't forgotten everyone.

Mary

Reply to
oldhenwife

Hi, Mary!

You could try

for free newsgroup access, or

for only 10 Euros per year.

Either one would be preferable to googlegroups!

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

Hi Mary

Your post will give geoff a fit.

But as you have more skins than an onion....(where did I here that?)

Just keep close to your broomstick for a quick get away:-)

Cheers

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Welcome back, Mary!

Reply to
Frank Erskine

When viewing the threads list or a thread, at the top right of the page (below the Search buttons) is a Discussions + new post link.

Owain

(Also using googlegroups now because I kept losing things on the computers.)

Reply to
Owain

I might be wrong, but reading between the lines were you perhaps previously the grit in the wheel of progress? If so keep up the good work, and ng with such is the better for it.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I thought uk.d-i-y was an offshoot of Any Questions ...

Nick

Reply to
Nick Leverton

I second that. I use news.individual.net[1] for 10 Euros a year, but I'm told that eternal september is ok - and it's free.

Either can be used from any internet account - it doesn't matter who your ISP is. You do need newsreader software though - such as Outlook Express (ugh!) or Thunderbird.

Oh, and welcome back! Hope you manage to get sorted in order to get proper usenet access rather than Google Groups.

[1] I think
is not correct - although it does re-direct you to the correct site
Reply to
Roger Mills

news.individual.net

Reply to
Tim Streater

That sounds odd. The normal Zen service includes access to news.zen.co.uk (text groups only) at no extra cost. Are you on a non-standard service or something?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Hi mary, Good to have you back!

's free and generally fairly reliable (what I use).

You have seen the light. Drop GoogleGroups[1] and use the above.

[1] I like Google - I recently transferred my contacts and many diarys to them which works wonderfully on a variety of iPhones and android tablets.

But GoogleGroups sucks boulders through a gnat's proboscis.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Only just noticed this thread...

Welcome back Mary!

Have a look at:

are various free news servers about that may do what you want.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks, Owain, oh how good to see the old names!

Yes, it's a built in function of them - unless you're John Rumm ...

Luckily No 1 grandson is now an IT support whatsit for a big company and is happy to do stuff with my pc remotely. It's fascinating!

oldhenwife

Reply to
oldhenwife

I'll have another look. As far as I know I'm on the basic service. When I joined I was told something about newsgroups but I was in a fair old state because customers couldn't get in touch with us and I probably didn't understand properly. Since you're another zennut you'll know more about it than others, thanks.

Mary

Reply to
oldhenwife

Thank you, John!

Nevertheless, I've made a note of it and shall give it a go. Off to bed now! Enough excitement for one evening.

Mary

Reply to
oldhenwife