Moving Electricity Meter

My electricity meter is about 8 foot above floor.

I am going to have a total re-wire of the house and want to have the meter moved down to ground level(ish).

The "owner of the meter" is UU - and they reckon that only they can move the meter - and the ballpark estimate is 900 quid !!!

Legally - have I got to get them to do it.

It seems like they have a captive audience and can charge what they like.

Reply to
steven

Who is UU?

Reply to
Yellow

United Utilities?

Reply to
Andy Burns

So it's a safety issue, as you're not able to read the meter.

You want to be able to read the meter without putting yourself at risk=20 by standing on a chair etc. - by ground level, i'm guessing you mean=20 so you can read it without climbing on something.

Sounds to me like they're looking to charge you for a full service=20 alteration, where they move in the incoming supply as well, not just=20 the meter.

If you can't get them to move on that point, plan "B" follows:

Ask them to get a meter fixer out to it to install an isolator at the=20 same time (if you don't already have one) - otherwise you have no way=20 of switching off the supply to work on your own equipment.

While he's there, he might be amenable to moving it to a more=20 convenient height ;-)

Note: your own meter tails will likely need to be replaced at the same=20 time, and that _is_ down to you - which is where the isolator covers=20 their ass - they can connect as far as that, and it's your problem how=20 you get it from the switch to the consumer unit.

Yes - it's their equipment.

Look on the bright side, you could be claiming over =A3100k expenses on=20 a second house like an MP :-/

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In article , Yellow writes

United Utilities, who took six weeks to replace my faulty water meter, sent out three "engineers" (two of whom didn't think there was anything wrong with the meter continuing to clock up usage when the main stop tap was turned off), and stumped up compensation with very bad grace for missed appointments, phone calls, time taken off work, etc.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Excellent advice from Colin. The only other thing I would add is to ask them for a detailed breakdown of their estimate to move the meter if you can't get them to act on the safety aspect.

Reply to
The Wanderer

There are actually regulations that deal with how far a meter can be from the supply head. If I remember correctly, it's one metre (as it were). On that basis, he may find that it is far cheaper to buy an aluminium ladder.

That hardly solves his problem, since the isolator is installed

*after* the meter; the meter will still be 8 foot off the ground!

Most just do the work required and tell them to come and reseal it. It's seen as standard practice.

Reply to
Ste

It really depends on how much usage it was clocking up with the supply turned off. Frankly, I *don't even see how* a water meter could clock up units without water actually passing through the meter.

Bear in mind, an old stopcock on the mains, and a ball valve in the loft, could easily explain the movement of the meter when the supply is "off" - (however only the most knowledgable engineers would recognise that immediately as the explanation for your "problem").

Personally I think you just harangued them until the bosses told the engineers "just replace the bloody meter".

Reply to
Ste

I paid an exorbitant amount to have my meter moved outside. that was 9 years ago. when they come to read the meter, if we are not in, they still leave notes saying they were unable to access the meter. Letters, phone calls emails to no avail, they still cannot update their software to tell the meter readers where the meter now is!

Reply to
Broadback

He could just use binoculars while standing on the floor.

Reply to
s_pickle2001