electricity bill doubled

My electricity bill has been climbing up in recent months, up by 20%, to

40% and now doubled. There have been no appliance change and I didn't turn on A/C. So, it's quite puzzling as to why the electricity bill has doubled.

I can think of two things: 1. meter malfunctioning or 2. appliance malfunctioning. Before I tackle the meter malfunctioning, I'd like to know if appliance is at fault. I don't see any appliance running non-stop. Could appliance somehow increase its electricity usage? How?

I have an electric water heater, one full-size and two half-size fridges, electric cook top, ceiling fans, a swimming pool pump, a small oven, plus lights. That's all.

I have GFCI. So, current leaking into ground is not a problem.

Reply to
Oumati Asami

Step #1: compare the actual kw-hr usage readings rather than the money figures.

Reply to
danny burstein

Refrigerator may be stuck on defrost cycle

I'd think the water heater would be running hotter than usual if an element was not turning off.

Pool pump may be on more than usual if it is on a timer that went bad.

You may want to buy a Kill A Watt meter to check the use of individual appliances. About $20 from Amazon.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Where do you live ? ie: where in this wide wide world ? ... it might affect our kind and helpful answers ... . . seriously .. My electricity rates haven't changed much recently - .. different in 1990's early 2000's John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yes.

Also, hot water dripping or running somewhere.

Reply to
micky