Moving electricity meter

Hi All

A friend of mine (honest!) needed to move his electricity meter

He spoke to the supplier, who said that he can get any registered electrician to move it.

A registered electrician has done so, but of course broken all the seals

I understood that only the supplier can move it - is that still the case?

What rings alarm bells is that my friend said the supplier said it should be a CORGI registered electrician - I thought CORGI was Council for Registered *Gas* Installers

Cheers

Reply to
Ben Mack

In article , Ben Mack writes

It has been covered a few times here and appears not to be a problem. The 'official' way appears to be to write a notification of works to the supplier telling them what is about to be done then write to them after the works to tell them that work has been completed and inviting them to re-seal the meter connections at their convenience. It's really an arse covering exercise so make the second letter recorded delivery.

Reply to
fred

What's a "registered" electrician? Registered with whom?

It's their property, so I would have thought so.

It is, and proof that whoever your friend speaking to at the suppliers was a witless numpty.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I have seen an advert in one of the mags about CORGI applying to do a CORGI Electrician scheme. In the small print it did say the scheme was subject to approval from ODPM. Another Part P scheme I assume.

Mind you part P will not allow you to move a meter. Only the supplier should arrange and do that.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Anyone can move the meter, but you need to get the leccy company to inspect and re-aeal. There responsibility extends to the meter only, after that its the BCO and electrical regs to specify length of tails and switchgear and wiring that follows.

Usually a phone call to them and 'Ive moved the meter, can you reseal it' gets a man in a van pretty quickly...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I joined this scheme (I know it's feels like selling out to jags+chins+shags==6) It allows me, legally, to self certify single circuit installs and produce inspection and test forms. I suspect the latter will become increasingly more significant as the Blames Direct Culture shows no sign of letting up.

I believe there are around a dozen schemes for being a registered electrician.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Corgi version now an approved Part P scheme?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

The IEE* :-)

  • IET for pedants!
Reply to
Matt

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

Worked when I did it. Had to move the meter unexpectedly (poor planning and the discovery of some seriously dodgy wiring - old rubber stuff from which all the rubber had crumbled) and just moved it. Bloke came along later in the week and wasn't at all bothered.

Reply to
Guy King

I recently had a set-to with EDF Energy about the costs they wanted to charge for a relatively straightforward service alteration. It turns out that some of the work is contestable, some is non contestable.

'Moving a meter' quite often means moving both the meter and the service termination. Alterations to the service cable and termination are 'non-contestable'. Only the company owning the cable and main fuse can carry out any work on the service cable and main fuse.

Moving the meter and carrying out a rudimentary check before reconnecting supply is contestable work, and can be carried out by persons other than the company owning the service cable. My choice of words there was quite deliberate. EDF Energy gave me a relatively short list of approved electrical contractors who were allowed to carry out the contestable works.

Unfortunately I no longer have the correspondence, but the operative expression was *approved* contractors. Who approves them I can't remember, but I don't think it was as simple as a registered electrician. The contractors listed were all major businesses.

Attitudes between companies obviously differ. I suspect in the situation you mention, the 'owning' company are taking a fairly relaxed attitude to who can move the meter and are accepting the work being carried out by a registered electrician, as distinct from an 'approved' contractor.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Wouldn't bar you either, would it? The IEE Regs don't apply to "suppliers' works" AIUI

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Merely those who are up to date (it's been over a month now!)

Bob (MIET, I suppose, now)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Didn't here. I didn't actually move the meter, but removed it to replace the mounting board with a bigger one for a new CU. And of course had to remove the seal. The seal on the company fuse had been removed many years before and never replaced.

I phoned them to say what I'd done and they showed little interest.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , fred writes

Sorry, I should have googled first, have now done so

So I see, though not entirely clear, it looks like he should get away with it

Thanks everyone for your responses, most educational :-)

Cheers

Reply to
Ben Mack

Just for the benefit of the group, the CORGI Part P Scheme is a restricted scheme, so do not assume that a CORGI competent person can do everything electrical, because they are not approved for that side. Nightmare scheme for the uninformed really.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

Nothing changes, then. Most plumbers wire up central heating with only one type of cable - 3 core 0.5mm flex. Earth as switched line with no marking? Not a problem. Heat resistant close to the boiler? Never heard of it and it's too expensive...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)