Re: Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P)

On 25 Jul 2003 17:11:34 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

Likewise. I also spoke to mine recently and put it to him that this succession of legislation in different areas to do with building and home improvement is rapidly becoming an infringement of the "Englishman's home is his castle" principle and getting quite close to the civil liberties area. He certainly agreed that this was yet another piece of overkill legislation that would likely be unenforceable and therefore virtually pointless.
.andy
To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 17:26:00 +0100, Andrew McKay

I received a friendly reply from my MP this morning. He basically agrees with my synopsis of this legislation and is going to take the matter up with the appropriate minister. His words were "yet another example of over regulation".
Just to reiterate, my main focus of attack was that implementing this new scheme "to save lives" would do nothing of the sort, as the vast majority of fatalities and injuries which had implications for the electrical supply actually involve appliances and customer-side wiring, not the behind-the-wall installation. It wasn't ever going to stop someone being electrocuted because they drove their electric lawnmower over the power cable.
Andrew
From the chaotic regions of the Cryptosphere, Andrew McKay
+0100:

The consultation paper is at http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_control/documents/contentservertemplate/odpm_index.hcst?n3&l=2 or http://makeashorterlink.com/?L1F832565