Internet Shopping

Hi

I have been reading about screwfix performance on the internet.

I to have dealt with them for hundreds of items and I have nothing but praise for them imho they have a highly efficient system.

And hear is the opposite Over the last three days I have been having an email argument with a high profile internet only computer supplies

I ordered some memory on saturday evening no problem I received an email (Auto) telling me that if I wanted to cancel I only had to log on to my account and do so.

Sunday I was reading my computer mb manual and realized that I had ordered the wrong type of memory so I logged on to my account and checked the status of the order which was "Awaiting" but there was no way that I was able to cancel the order so I decided that I would order the correct type and email the company at the same time asking them to cancel the first order,they replied saying that they couldn't do that and that I would have to send it back when I received it at a cost to me of £10.

Anyway I still kept getting the message that I could log on and cancel if I wanted the last one came on monday.

So began an email battle with me asking why I could not cancel my first order we have had quite a few exchanges of the incident.They say that once the order had been authorized with my credit card company that I can't cancel.

Tuesday I received the first order AND the second order in the same package,yesterday I received an email telling me that a transaction takes place within 5 minutes and from then on it is impossible to cancel the order.at the same time I got a email giving me instructions as to how to return the unwanted order and telling me that it could take up to 28 days to credit my account of them receiving the return so strange to me that:

1) I can't cancel my order after being told that I could.

2) It takes only 5 minutes to complete a transaction with no chance of cancellation.

3) Why does it take up to 28 days to credit my account.

This as really got my blood boiling these people have no way to connect to them by phone until you receive a delivery not with the order of course its to late by then.

Can any of you good people tell if I am wrong to take this any further which at this moment in time I am thinking of doing if I do go further who should I go to first, all the emails I have been getting seem to be extracting to water out of me so much so that I have ruined my punch bag and I have never laid a finger on her until now.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

When I made a mess of a screwfix order I phoned straight away and the guy said he had stopped it, when the order arrived he hadn't so I phoned them up and they said there was a note on the system saying he hadn't managed to stop it. The lady I dealt with said that it only takes about 20 mins for them to box an order and then its off and not much can be done. This has not deminished my feelings towards screwfix at all I've found them to be very efficient and they have arrange free returns of any items I've over ordered or didn't like( a core drill that was shorter than I expected).

You weren't dealing with Dabs where you?

Cheers Jonathan

Reply to
jonathan

good old Dabs eh ?! I've not ever had a problem with them, but I know a few who have !!

Reply to
NC

My opinion - don't take it any further. Doing so will only result in more headache for you, with very little gain.

What I do when I have experiences like that is add the supplier to my supplier blacklist. I won't use them again, that's it. I don't have the time or the patience to waste hours of my life arguing over a trivial matter like that, even if there are principles involved.

Reply to
Grunff

Assuming it is a private transaction i.e. not business the Distance Selling Regulations allow up to 30 days for a refund in such circumstances. The seller is not obliged to refund carriage neither is he allowed to make any handling or restocking charges in relation to the return.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

This was posted in the new UK e-Bay group recently. I've not had a chance to read it properly yet but it may be very relevant or have pertinent links :

Dave Liquorice

He actually owns the whole thing lock stock and barrel!

Reply to
Peter Crosland

The Distance selling regulations say you can cancel an order at any time up to 7 days after your received the goods, and for any reason. PROVIDED you have kept the goods in new condition and not used them.

You are entitled to a full refund but alas have to pay for the return postage. For memory chips I suspect that it would be far cheaper to post them that the £10 quoted for their return 'service'. The distance selling regulations allow the supplier to take up to 28 days to refund the money.

Reply to
Richard

I use these as well, I bulk order as a group of us at work order at the same time and get it delivered to my house as there is always some one to accept the delivery.

Cheers Jonathan ( who has had more trouble with couriers that suppliers)

Reply to
jonathan

but you didn't need to do all that for a return. Just return the goods with the label. Their storeman has signed for the package and I have the Parcel Force receipt. The website shows the return as "being processed". You're right about that company though. Took my money allegedly on despatch but the package eventually arrived with a much later despatch date. Don't have the same confidence as I do with Screwfix or QVC.

Alan

Reply to
Alan James

"Alan James" wrote in news:3f20e8fb@212.67.96.135:

But the bit of the label that I had to use for return was blank- at the very least I'd have to pay a lot of postage; they may never acknowledge receipt, or refund my postage, and the goods were well broken.

Also they are uncontactable, except perhaps by a solicitor, and who needs one of them to add to the grief.

So realistcally all I can do is cut my losses by mending the bloody iron - bully for spannerman - and badmouth them to anyone who will listen

Mike R

Reply to
Mike Ring

Thank's for the replies folks I have cooled down a little now and decided to take Grunff's advice especially the last three lines of his post.

Reply to
Chris