Part P self cert "course" for electrical work - worth it ?

As above - I sometimes could do with being able to do the odd job that I used to be allowed to do, but now have to call an Electrician in for - most are "trivial" and I was wondering what the cost of a "course" and getting the certificate is, how much "red tape" there is, any ongoing costs to keep it and whether it's all worthwhile, or should I just add the cost of the electrician on top of the rest of the job's cost / turn down the job.... ?

Can anyone tell me please ?

Thanks,

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Just do the job yourself. Send BC the fee and the building notice, let them inspect if they want. Issue a certificate yourself if you think you can stand by your own work. You'll need a copy of the IEE on-site guide, and be able to understand it. You'll also need some test equipment for the insulation and continuity tests, but that's quite cheap on ebay.

IANAE (I am not an electrician)

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing FBCS CITP

The problem is not so much the course but becoming a member of an accredited organisation.

Reply to
Fred

not sure that is a wise course of action, for what I read to be paid work for someone else - not DIY

Reply to
chris French

No problem, if you are competent, have the appropriate qualifications and experience, insurace backed warranty in place.

Reply to
Stephen Dawson

I am quite sure I can do it, safely, I have numerous items of test equipment including a Megger, PAT tester, various items for electronic design and test and have been doing both electrical and electronic work for some 30 + years, but what I fear most is contravening the regs which I am not encountering every day, not being "an electrician".

It is for my own benefit - tidying up the house / outhouse / outside electrics that have been added to over the years, prior to one day selling, and not wanting to have to do it all in the last few weeks before survey / exchange / completion.

If it is an option to just do it and "tell" the council guys without risking imprisonment, that seems the preferred way forward for me....

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Yebbut this is a DIY group - you just do it yourself (with as much advice as you need) and see what happens re certificates and BCOs. If it's bad you'll just have to do it again, but most diyers are generally over cautious and do more than is essential.

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

In which case, surely you have the intelligence and common sense to realise that if you just go ahead and do it competently, and don't bother messing with the council at all, the probability of any negative repercussions are sufficiently close to zero to be negligible.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

well, that's what has already been happening, but I though I would at least make an effort to display a token offering to being "legal" and see what sort of "taxes" are involved and hoops are expected to be jumped through....

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Most don't, just get a copy of OSG and follow it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Just for being able to do the wiring in your own home. How much would this privilege cost me? And then each year?

Reply to
Fred