Part P course

Hi,

The local plumbing school is running a "Part P" course which it says is aimed at DIYers, plumbers and other people who have cause to do bits of domestic wiring from time to time. The implication is that with this course in the bag, one can self certificate any electrical works done.

Does this sound plausible/possible?

If so, where would I be allowed to do electrical work?

Obviously, my own home, but how about the home of a friend? How about a house that I own and rent out to tenants?

I have done bits of wiring for years and consider myself 'capable', but obviously these new laws have come in and I'm looking for a way to legally put myself back where I was before in terms of legitimacy.

The course is 2 days IIRC and costs around £600 so obviously I want it to be worthwhile!

AJ

Reply to
Alex Bloor

Don't know about the quality of the course, but you're not working in my house after only two days drinking very expensive coffee! Pat

Reply to
Patrick E. King

This really takes the piss with the part P idea. I am a time served electrician progressed to printing machinery and now multiskilled. I have installed (from unloading off a wagon in shipping crates, assembling and commisioning) 1/2 million pound printing machinery; I daily work on 5 million pound printing equipment. We use extreemly flamable solvents in the procces and a single spark (even from static) will potentially flatten a £25 million pound factory! But I cannot be trusted to add a ring circuit in my kitchen to the required standard.

But for £600 and a 2 day course you can come and sign off my socket circuit as safe, as long as I pay your required "fee"!

PS not having a go at you mate!

Reply to
Tim Morley

:o))) No, I know, and I kind of half expected some responses a bit like yours!

I totally agree it's nonsense. I have done ringmain wiring, installed extra sockets, and so on and so on. I take great care and think carefully. I believe my work would stand up to scrutiny. I don't like the fact that I am no longer legitimately allowed to do these things, which is why I figure if I can jump through a (predominantly administrative) hoop and get legitimate again, I may do it.

I doubt the course will teach me much about safety or about the principles of electricity. I was a qualified radio amateur, and the technical component of that course was apparently beyond degree level [albeit in a very narrow field]. Added to which I have done loads of wiring jobs in the past and nobody has died yet ;o)

All I was after was confirming that the hoop I was planning to jump through would give me the required level of bureaucracy to carry on!

A.

Reply to
Alex Bloor

I.think you will also have to do a couple of rewires and have them checked by an 'approved' body.Plus buying a load of testing equipment. Strange that an electrician can do commercial / industrial work but not domestic installations. I'ts all to do with tax to stop the 'fiddle' jobs' Don't forget it a two way thing - tax man also knows what work you have had done to your house - where do you get the money from ? I would just do your jobs as normal and say nothing !

Reply to
bob

A ridiculous statement!

Reply to