help pls! Building regs re doors and steps

Some swift advice would be much appreciated - I have builders in, and need to work on this problem very soon.

Basic situation: creating a bedroom with ensuite shower room by knocking a doorway through a connecting wall. However, the 2 rooms are on different levels, the proposed shower room being 50cm below the bedroom.

The door will be opening inwards, into the bedroom.

The shower-room is long and thin, and will consist of firstly a shower cubicle recessed to one side, then a basin on side-wall, finally toilet against end wall.

The builder says that due to building regs, because of the door and the need for steps, we cannot simply put steps between the rooms, but will have to have a split-level showerroom, with a single step down from bedroom to a raised area of shower-room (and a raised shower platform), then a further step down to the basin/toilet area.

Aesthetically, it would be nicer to fit the steps (2 max) between the rooms, and this would also fit practically.

Is my builder right, and is this raised platform our only option to comply with building regs?

Thanks for advice

Reply to
Jim

Why not build a false floor and raise the whole bathroom floor level up?

You could have a recessed shower tray as well..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

On 31 Mar 2006 00:29:16 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named "Jim" randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

The requirements for stairs, etc. don't apply to flights in dwellings of less than 600mm.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula