Building regs approval for ensuite bathroom?

Hi,

My mum want to get an ensuite shower room put into the corner of a bedroom in her house (mid 50's detached). The room will contain basin, shower and toilet, ventilation will be by an extractor fan - no new window is being added.

The builder and plumber both say that buildings regs approval is not needed. The plumber said that it would only be required if they were making a new connection into a sewer - instead they will be putting a new pipe into the existing waste stack which doesn't need approval.

Is this information correct? I was under the impression that approval would be required for work of this nature.

Thanks, Martin.

Reply to
Martin Wiseman

On 23 Feb 2004 03:37:10 -0800, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@rimfall.demon.co.uk (Martin Wiseman) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

Strictly speaking, a Building Regulations application is required for any alteration to drainage, above or below ground. In practice, most BCOs wouldn't be too worried about alterations to above-ground drainage only, particularly if it were only moving an existing bathroom around.

If you're creating a new bathroom (rather than just altering the layout of an existing one), then you should submit a Building Notice. When you come to sell, the buyer's surveyor or solicitor may want proof that one was submitted, and it should only cost around £60.

Reply to
Hugo Nebula

(Martin Wiseman) wrote

That's c*ck.

Nope all mods to drains/sewerage /should/ [1] have planning permission and be inspected.

There's 2 types. One where full plans are submitted and approved, the other where outline planning is granted and the surveyor comes to inspect.

The latter is the one I chose. Price wise they're much of a muchness and is about £110

There's rules about diameters of drainage pipes and opening window areas vs floor areas which could turn out expensive if you don't comply when you come to sell (and the surveyor picks up on it).

Cheers,

Paul.

[1] Although i'm not saying people haven't done it without.
Reply to
Zymurgy

Why not just ask Building Control? IME they are very open to people wandering in off the street for an informal chat over their plans - they will give advice before you put an application in, and whether you even need to do so. David

Reply to
Lobster

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice chaps, you have confirmed my suspicions.

I have now done so.

Martin.

Reply to
Martin Wiseman